Does anyone know of a GOOD Toronto guidebook

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had bought a Frommers Boston guide on Amazon.com and it was EXCELLANT! For my May vacation, I will be visiting Toronto and Boston - So after I read the Boston guide, I decided to order one for Toronto. BIG MISTAKE! It was awful. The author for the Boston guide was a thousand times better. So I had to send it back.

Then I had pre-ordered a copy of "Toronto for Dummies" because the book was supposed to be shipped by March 25 ... Now they are saying it will not be until MAY 25!! I will have left Toronto by then (What a shame! I think I would have really liked that one)

I canceled the order and had them send me Fodors Toronto guide. - Uh! That one wasn't good either ... It was sent back today. (I can't afford to keep these books if I won't even read them)

I am afraid to order another one, but I really need one!!

Which one should I choose?

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Is it that no knows of a good book to recommend...or is it that no one wants to help me?

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 10:57 PM

i found the time out toronto guidebook useful. this year i'm trying out the 2nd edition of the lonely planet toronto guide.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

gleemonex,

Let me ask you a question. The 2 books you mentioned are not updated every year and are, in fact, a few years old. Do you think that is ok? I mean, did you find that it wasn't that out of date?
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 07:49 AM

the second edition of lonely planet toronto was only published/updated (re-written, really) in july of last year. it's not that old.

at any rate, no, i didn't find it to be an issue. both of these books are full of good info about toronto, its attractions, restaurants and neighborhoods. they're also both a lot less "stuffy" than the frommers, i'd imagine.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 06:00 PM
BAK

I'll be in a bookstore tomorrow and take a look at the Toronto guidebooks.

BAK
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

I was sure I posted a reply this afternoon - but I must have turned off my computer or left the site before it went through. (That happens sometimes LOL!)

I didn't realize that Time Out and Rough Guide had fairly new versions. For some reason when I searched Amazon.com the older versions kept coming up first ... but I see them now.

I'll wait for BAK to give me his recommendations.

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:12 PM
BAK

I was in the store, but too close to closing. Right off the top, my favorite was a small one, D&K's Top 10 Toronto guide book. It looks up to date, at least to the extent that anything can be up to date in Toronto.

The Rough Guide looked good too.

I glanced at the Frommer's 2005 Toronto guide book, but you've reported this as badly written.

In Toronto, the major attractions are stable, although the Art Gallery of Ontario is closing down some exhibition space for renovations, and the Ceramics Museum is under major reconstruction.

CN Tower, SkyDonme / ROgers Dome, Casa Loma, the Distillery District, Kensigton market, St. Lawrence Market keep on being pretty much the same. Restaurants come and go, with the newest, most trendy, too new for most guidebooks. But Toronto Life Magazine stays on top of the newest fooderies.

Commercial art galleries, one of my favorite set of palces to visit, have ever-changing exhibits, so you need to see a Saturady Globe and Mail to get the best idea of what's on, plus pick up a guide booklet (free) from just about any major commercial gallery, for a list of who is showing what, where.

But if you want to order from amazon tonight, it the D&K Top Ten Toronto I'd suggest.

I'll try to get back into the store tomorrow.

BAK