Icefields Parkway?

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icefields Parkway?

Heading out to Banff this weekend and had planned on driving up to Jasper sometime the following week and spending one night there. The purpose of this was to make this supposedly breathtaking drive. Just spoke with a friend who advised against this at this time of the year, she wasnt sure if it would be worthwhile considering it will be cold and snowy presumably next week, in her opinion not the same as the summer/fall experience. Now we are rethinking our itinerary and considering just staying in Banff the whole time and making "day trips" from there, ie: to Lake Louise, etc. Any thoughts on whether it is still worthwhile to make the drive?

Also, has anyone stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Calgary? Is it worth maybe staying in Calgary for a few nights on our way back out? We would be in Banff for 6 nights and Calgary for 2. Or maybe just one? Or pass on Calgary altogether?
Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 01:23 PM
BAK

It depends on what you like to do. If you are a hiker, ignoring the cold, you could spend thewhole week close to Banff and Lake louise.

But if it was me, I'd drive up to the icefields and then on to Jasper one day, stay overnight, come back to either Lake Louise or Banff, and then I'd spend at least one night in Calgary.

Yeah, it's sort of cold, but that's Canada in the fall. The mountains are still beautiful, even if there's clouds and it is grey.

The mountains are nicer on sunnyd ays, but if this is whenyou can travel, this is the time to go.

BAK
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 01:57 PM

If the road is open and the sky is reasonably clear, then my vote is to drive the Icefields Parkwy. The days are short, but the scenery on that drive is something else.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

OK, that makes me think I will do it then. We will drive up and spend a night in Jasper and come back the next day. I would hate to go all the way out to Banff and NOT do this drive, it was one of the reasons I wanted to go.
And no, we arent hikers, but I do enjoy great scenery and we like to drive. I'm from Canada BAK, Ottawa now, via TO for many years, so the cold I am used to
Originally from northern PQ

So barring a horrific storm or something, we'll make the drive!
Thanks for your inisights BAK and Bob!
This was a trip we were supposed to make early fall, but as work goes...we can only now get away So we shall make the best of it; good part is we are getting some excellent hotel rates!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 03:54 PM

If you run into bad weather or just want another stop, we stayed at the Crossings about 1/2 way between the Athabaska glacier and Lake Louise.

Interesting localally owned place. Everyone stops here for gas, eat or just to stretch. Our room was very clean but small (great view) for $100 cad and food was reasonable.

PS we liked walking around Banff but stayed in Canmore, more localy friendly.
IMHO. Have fun, wish I could join you.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:07 PM

The Icefield Parkway is beautiful no matter what time of the year that you drive it, and each season has its own special wonders. It helps to remember that even in summer it could be rainy and overcast, and the peaks could be hidden in the clouds.
Late autumn (which is what it is - technically - right now, even though there has already been some snow) is usually drier than summer, and you are just as likely to get really cold temperatures but sunny skies, and not necessarily snow.
Those sunny skies really help in the scenery department, and because most of the trees are coniferous (pine, spruce, fir), you will still see green even though it is November, and also lots of rock - which basically is the same as in summer, especially at the higher elevations.

Of course the mountain meadow flowers and the pleasant warm days are gone till next year, but that means you'll have a reason for another visit !!

One word of advice - check the weather forecast for the day you plan to drive up to Jasper as well as for the day that you plan to drive back to Banff. You won't want to be stuck in Jasper by a snowstorm (if the weather is particularly bad, the Icefield Parkway could be temporarily closed).

By the way, just checked the forecast, they are predicting snowflurries for this weekend.

Happy trails!!
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Well thanks again for all the advice!
We will play it by ear, and hope to make the jaunt to Jasper. I am so excited about this trip, my first to the rockies; been wanting to go since I was young. We are so anxious! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before we leave.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 09:56 AM
JMM

We did the Icefields Parkway in winter (checked weather forcast first). It was spectacular.