Banff to Jasper - stay over one night?

Jul 30th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Banff to Jasper - stay over one night?

Due to the kind and generous offer of a friend to use their time share, my husband and I will be staying in Banff and using that as our home base. However, as long as we are in the Canadian Rockies, I want to travel to Jasper as well. I understand from this forum that the drive to Jasper from Banff requires ~ 4 to 5 hours - at least. Would it be reasonable to spend 1 day, get up early and take our time and travel to Jasper on the Icefields Parkway, stay O/N, then get up early, hike the Mt. Edith Cavell trails and return to Banff the following day? I really want to see Mt. Edith Cavell. But we don't want to spend the money for more than one night in the area. Thanks for your thoughts.
Jul 30th, 2004, 04:55 AM

Hello Bleicher,

What you are proposing is very feasible. The main reason the Icefields Parkway usually takes quite a while to drive is that there are several scenic lookout points at which it is very worthwhile to stop. If you don't make any stops on the return journey, it's possible you'd accomplish the drive in as little as 3.5 hours.

If I remember correctly, you're going in the middle of September. Just FYI, at that time of year sunrise in Jasper would be about 7.10 a.m. and sunset would be about 7.45 p.m.
Jul 30th, 2004, 05:36 AM

Agree with Judy.

The Icefield Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper is just over 230 km (depending on which sign you believe along the way, and that translates to about 143 miles). If you drive straight through without stopping at 90 km/h (~ 57.8 mph), it will take you approximately 2.5 hours to drive. Mind you, there are sections that are slower - this is a winding mountain road.
From Lake Louise to Banff is another 45 minute drive.

But if you are able to restrain yourself from stopping at all the beautiful viewpoints, you are stronger than me!! Even though we have travelled that route many times, we still stop at our favourite points of interest every single time (even in winter, where-ever possible!!!

So your plan to start early, drive the Icefield Parkway in a leisurely pace over one day, is not only "do-able", but it's actually the best way to do it.

Enjoy your stay in the mountains!!
Jul 30th, 2004, 07:26 AM

We made the drive from Banff to Jasper a few weeks ago.

We left Banff at 7:00 am and didn't arrive at Becker's Chalets in Jasper unitl 5:00 pm. We stopped several times including the SnoCoach tour at the icefields.
Jul 30th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all again for your very helpful replies. I'm always amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this site. We will be there Sep 5th through 12th, so it's getting close - can't wait!