home exchange: Vancouver or Victoria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both sound great. Which city would offer more variety for 4-5 weeks? We're planning on next Summer/Fall 2008. We enjoy museums, walking neighborhoods, day excursions, interesting restaurants, good public transportation? Is one city more expensive than the other? Any help in making a decision would be appreciated? Thanks.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 11:01 AM

For a long stay I would recommend Vancouver. You can do day trips to Victoria. Vancouver has great public transportation but you will need a car to travel further out. Look at VRBO for accommodation.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Traveller69. We'll have a home exchange, so accommodations won't be a problem. Is one city more expensive than the other? Is downtown Vancouver a good place to stay?
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 11:52 AM

Annetti - I think both cities are about the same price wise. It depends on the restaurants you choose etc but other than that you can't really say there is a difference. You mention you like museums so I would plan on doing an overnight in Victoria or perhaps several day trips. The Royal BC Museum in Victoria is a world class natural history museum. You must visit it as a highlight.

I am recommending Vancouver because you won't have the ferry to contend with if you want to drive to Whistler or up the Fraser Valley etc. But I do recommend several days on Vancouver Island.

As far as downtown Vancouver as a place to stay it depends. Most of the areas are great and I doubt if its a home exchange it would be in a bad part of town. Do you know the exact location?
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Traveller69: Vancouver sounds like the better choice. What's the weather like in July/August? Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM

The weather should be in the low 70's (low 20's C). It is very hard to predict because there can be some rain. If you travel up the valley the temperatue gets warmer. My birthday is mid July and we always used to say that the weather cleared up on that day. August is usually drier than July but of course we have had years with no rain at all and temperatures in the 80'. The best thing to do is bring a light rain jacket and an umbrella just in case and keep your fingers crossed. Whenever you come you will love it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 01:51 PM

The big issue is the nature of the two cities. Vancouver is a commercial hub of over a million people. Victoria is a government / college town of ~300,000. Vancouver is much more vibrant than Victoria.
Those of us used to living in Victoria find Vancouver to be noisy and loud. I'm sure Vancouverites find Victoria to be sleepy and boring.
Where are you home exchanging from? For example, if you are from New York, then Vancouver could seem laid back and Victoria positively dead.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Traveller and Iseethecat: Thanks very much for your thoughts on the subject. It is very helpful.