Hiking Crypt Lake in May

Search

Hiking Crypt Lake in May

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiking Crypt Lake in May

Any ideas if we would be able to hike the Crypt Lake Trail in Waterton the last week in May?

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:23 PM

I've never done the Crypt Lake hike. It's very much on my to do list. In fact my resolution for the summer of 2006 is to get to know the SW corner of Alberta better.

This web site, for what it's worth, states that the Crypt Lake hiking season is July - September:

http://www.onedayhikes.com/Hikes.asp?HikesID=114
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Darn. The shuttle website gives a set schedule for July and Aug and it says to contact them about off season schedule. I sent them an email to see if they ever run the end of May. I'll pass along what I find out.
Thanks.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:03 AM

mdod, a poster on another forum said that he hiked Lineham Ridge in late May 2005, and was surprised to see good displays of wildflowers. He was surprised because, being an experienced hiker in the Rockies (including Waterton), he found the wildflowers to be out earlier than they had been in previous years.

Last year the rest of the Rockies bloomed earlier than usual too. That is, places that don't get their flowers until July had them in June.

We've had an unbelievably mild January. It's really difficult to predict what spring will be like. However, I'm sure you can find one or two nice hikes in Waterton in late May even if you can't get to the Crypt Lake Trail.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Judy. I'm hoping the mild weather holds so that we'll have access to more trails. Although I'm sure skiers aren't too happy about the mild winter.

My itinerary is changing on a daily basis and the weather being so unpredictable isn't helping. Since we'll be going before the season really starts and we're not very particular about where we stay, I'm tempted to not bother booking lodging at all or maybe waiting until just before the trip. How risky do you think that would be? Is there a point earlier in the spring at which you would have a decent idea of what areas will be accessible?

Marcia

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:17 PM

The last week in May for Crypt Lake is problematical. I would check first and see if the boat shuttle from Waterton to the Crypt Lake landing on the opposite side is scheduled to begin operating that early in the season.

The snow cover is unpredictable of course right now because we don't know how much more snow will fall and when it will melt.

Three years ago in early July I was unable to take the High Line Trail in Glacier because it was still closed. The heaviest snows came later than usual that year and stayed around until mid July.

When you consider that the opening date for Logan Pass, which is plowed open under sometimes hazardous conditions, varies about 6 weeks from earliest opening to lastest opening, you can understand the problem.

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:17 PM

>>>>>>Since we'll be going before the season really starts and we're not very particular about where we stay, I'm tempted to not bother booking lodging at all or maybe waiting until just before the trip. How risky do you think that would be?<<<<<<

As you say, the area is lightly travelled in May. Generally speaking I would be comfortable to wing it in May.

The one time in May when there is a blip in tourism is the Victoria Day long weekend (May 20 - 22). The Monday night would be safe, because people who live in Lethbridge, Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, etc. would need to return home on Monday afternoon in order to be at work on Tuesday morning. Accommodations would be more fully booked on that Friday night and Saturday night than they are during the rest of May.

>>>>>>Is there a point earlier in the spring at which you would have a decent idea of what areas will be accessible?<<<<<<

You might be able to get some feedback about the state that the mountains are in during April. You could keep an eye out for questions and answers about skiing in Banff, etc. This would give you at least some idea about the general snow cover.

However, the weather in this area is notoriously changeable. I've often told the story of the time we were hiking in Yoho National Park, and we got a big dump of snow on us on July 1st. Now admittedly much of Yoho National Park is at a higher elevation than much of Waterton Lakes National Park.

But still, even in Calgary it has snowed on every day of the year since weather records have been kept (but not all in the same year of course). And when it does snow in summer, it usually doesn't stick around.

Also, recent years have been warmer than usual. I put it down to global warming. But even with global warming, it's possible to have brief spikes of unseasonably cool weather.

So who can say? You won't really know what conditions are until the day you're hiking (and even then you won't know in the morning what conditions will be like in the afternoon).

I think the best you can do is start monitoring the situation in late April and then have a serious look at the weather forecast about a week before you leave for your trip. That won't be a guarantee of anything, but it'll give you a rough idea.

I sympathize with you. It's challenging to plan a trip to the Rockies. All you can really do is pack layers of clothing to address all possible scenarios and have lists of things you want to do. If you can't implement Plan A, implement Plan B, and so on.

I see Bob has given you a good response while I've been typing mine. However, since my response also has addressed the question of booking or not booking accommodation and other issues, I'll let my message stand.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:26 PM

You got my curiosity up and going with your question. Here is a snipped from the Waterton Cruises web site.

Crypt Water Shuttle Service - July 1 - August 31

Depart Waterton Marina
* 9:00 AM.
* 10:00 AM.
* 3:35 PM.
* 5:05 PM.

Depart Crypt Landing
* 10:20 AM.
* 4:00 PM.
* 5:30 PM.

Please contact marina ticket office for off-season schedule. (403) 859-2362.

I think it all depends on when the snow melts.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Bob and Judy,
Thanks for the info. FYI, I just got a reply from the Waterton Cruise Co. They said that because the winter has been so mild, they will definitely be running lake cruises at the end of May. They said to check with ticket office when we get there and they may be able to get us over to Crypt Landing. They said they do have people going early in the season but making it all the way to the lake depends on how much snow they get.

Marcia
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:12 PM

There are some good accommodations in the town of Waterton itself. Unlike American parks, some Canadian parks have embedded towns where the motels and other facilities are private enterprise.

The Kilmorey is perhaps the best of the motel bunch, but the Aspen-Windflower, and the Bayshore are also good establishments. Crandall Lodge is where my son stayed with his family 3 years ago. He liked it.

Last summer just before returning to Calgary for some real icing on the cake of our whole visit to Alberta, we stayed at a B and B called Shintangle Springs. About 4 miles from the entrance to the park itself, Shintangle Springs is a B and B that was designed originally just for that purpose, all of which makes it more like a 4 room motel.

The rooms are spacious and the house itself is new and modern. Parking is at the door.

There is also cheaper housing to be had in the towns of Pincher Creek and Cardston. Cardston has a fabulous museum of horse-drawn carriages that I have seen twice.

I like staying in Waterton, or near there, because of the lake and the scenery.

I hope you make it to Crypt Lake. I wanted to do it, but I live so far from there that getting to the area is always a decision. Unfortunately, I doubt now that I will ever make it. So if you get there, enjoy it for me as well as yourself.
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 06:23 PM

You are going to love this hike. It is one of the most beautiful I have done - and I've done a few :0). Enjoy
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Welcome to Fodor's JaySk. This post is almost 8 years old, so they've probably already completed the hike.