weather and hiking in Rockies in Sept.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping to enjoy our first trip to the Canadian Rockies with as few crowds as possible, we've booked our much-looked-forward-to visit for Sept 3-13. I'm afraid, now, that the "weather" trade-off may not have been the right choice. I.e. in reading more guidebooks, I'm learning that it can be quite cool/cold in Sept. I now wish, we'd decided to "brave" the crowds and plan our visit for a warmer time, e.g. July or August. In any case, everything is fixed now, so what I'm hoping this board can help me with is which hikes are most likely to be pleasant for us. We never mind hiking in the rain, for example-- but it's got to be nice, warm, summer rain for us to enjoy it. We truly do dislike cold weather.
So: We begin our trip at the Rimrock for 3 nights, then on to Fairmont Lake Louise for 2 nights, then up to Jasper (Fairmont Lodge) for 2, then back down to Emerald Lake for 2, then Calgary for the last night. What I'm hoping is that someone(s) can suggest which hikes in those places we're most likely to have not-cold weather-- and perhaps note which hikes are most likely to be not-right for us given our druthers. We're late 60's, love the outdoors, don't do the most rigorous hiking, but every kind of "moderate" is great. Thanks so much for in-put!

Also: Which ONE hiking guide would you recommend we buy? E.g. one that's up-to-date and that has good, sensible, clear instructions for getting to the trails and also reliable descriptions of them. Thanks so much!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:09 AM

I won't comment on the weather because it could be hot and sunny or cold and wet. I've lived in Alberta for over 40 years and know better to make definite comments on what the weather will be like!

From the Rimrock there is a nice downhill walk to the Bow Falls and then on to the Banff town center. The Rimrock has a shuttle bus that will pick you up and take you back to the hotel.

Lake Louise has a nice flat walk to the end of the Lake. There is a hike up to the Tea House but it is a steep climb up.

At Emerald Lake there is a lovely walk that goes all around the lake and is mostly flat.

Hope that helps, have a great time
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:34 AM
ltt

i think september is a great month to go. bring cloths you can layer. days could be hot and sunny but the nights could be cool.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cruiser. I do know abt the walks that you've mentioned-- and lots and lots of other very wonderful sounding treks. What I don't know-- and what I'm hoping maybe to get help about-- is which hikes are likely to be less cold. I.e. since I don't know the actual topography/geography (even tho of course I've been looking at maps), I'm hoping that folks who know the area well can advise me abt which areas are likely to be most pleasant weather-wise, and which maybe not so great at that time of year. I know, of course, that one can never predict the weather (especially these days!); I just thought that maybe some areas are likely to be more what we're hoping to find.

Thanks much to Cruiseryyc and anyone else who takes the time to respond!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:41 AM

That's a question that is extremely hard to answer. Naturally if you are climbing a trail, then the higher elevation the more likely you are to encounter colder/wetter weather. However mountain weather is absolutely unpredictable. Once at Emerald Lake, I started out from the cabin in lovely sunshine, but at the other end of the lake it was snowing and there is no difference in that elevation.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM

We traveled several times towards Whister during September and we had a little bit of everything (hot sunny weather, rain, snow on higher elevations = Whistler peak).
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 02:26 PM

>>>>>>Hoping to enjoy our first trip to the Canadian Rockies with as few crowds as possible, we've booked our much-looked-forward-to visit for Sept 3-13. I'm afraid, now, that the "weather" trade-off may not have been the right choice.<<<<<<

I don't know if this will be any consolation to you, but I have experienced snow in the Canadian Rockies in <b>every</b> month of the year. So, if you had booked your vacation in July or August, you would be travelling through the area at a busier time <b>and</b> you still might run into snow.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;We truly do dislike cold weather.&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Well then I would say the Canadian Rockies are not a suitable destination for you. However, since you say everything now is fixed, I guess the only thing you can do is prepare as thoroughly as possible.

I suggest you bring layers, including long underwear, so that you can respond to whatever weather conditions you encounter when you get here.

I too am what my kids call a &quot;weather wuss,&quot; but I dress for the weather. As the Scandinavians say, there is no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;What I'm hoping is that someone(s) can suggest which hikes in those places we're most likely to have not-cold weather-- and perhaps note which hikes are most likely to be not-right for us given our druthers.&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Sorry, no can do. Even Calgary, which is outside of the mountains, is more than 3,000 feet above sea level and has had snow on every day of the year (but not all in the same year).

More in next post .............
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 02:37 PM

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Also: Which ONE hiking guide would you recommend we buy? E.g. one that's up-to-date and that has good, sensible, clear instructions for getting to the trails and also reliable descriptions of them.&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

The best all-round hiking guide for the Canadian Rockies is &quot;The Canadian Rockies Trail Guide&quot; by Brian Patton and Bart Robinson. It’s very clear and very well organized. It tells you how much elevation gain there is and over what distance. It also tells you how long it takes a fit person to do a hike. What with that information, the descriptions and photos, you are well equipped to decide which hikes may appeal to you. People refer to this book as the hiker's &quot;Bible.&quot; But the book includes ambitious hikes as well as shorter, easier ones.

If you're interested in shorter, easier hikes, a very good guide is &quot;Walks and Easy Hikes in the Canadian Rockies&quot; by Graeme Pole. His definition of an &quot;easy&quot; hike is one that takes anything up to a full day. (He has another book, &quot;Classic Hikes,&quot; which describes multi-day hikes.) That said, his “easy” book describes everything from wheelchair accessible paths, up through short, easy walks and so on. For someone who is interested in walks / hikes at the shorter / easier end of the spectrum, this book is all that’s needed.

The best overall guide to the Rockies, which encompasses hiking, maps, weather, flora, fauna, geology, history, you name it, is &quot;Handbook of the Canadian Rockies&quot; by Ben Gadd. Although it's a fabulous book, it's expensive, and it's probably overkill for what you say you want. This book is not cheap even in Canada, but I understand it's quite a bit cheaper here in the area than it is in the United States. I mention that for the benefit of others who may see this post.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:23 PM

I made my first trip in early September.
Weather was not so good. But, mountain weather is variable. You never can tell!

Another endorsement for the Brian Patton and Bart Robinson book. I have two copies of the 7th edition and even copies of earlier editions. Each edition has been an improvement.

The Handbook of the Canadian Rockies by Ben Gadd is a classic; there is no other book like it for any where that I have seen.

If you want to tour the Rockies in a more than semi-embalmed state, I recommend it without reservation.

It has the best treatment of the geology of the whole region that you will find in a non technical book.

In terms of their purpose, these are two of the best books you will find on any subject.

I don't recall how much the Gadd book cost, but it was not expensive for what you get.

New, it is about $35.00 from Amazon.
If you buy a used one for less, make very sure you are getting the 2nd edition. The 1st one is ok, but the 2nd one has color photographs and I think it is without peer.

My visits to the Rockies would be infinitely poorer without both books.
The former is the hikers' bible. The latter is the informed visitors' bible.