Hiking around St. John's Nfld

Old Jul 1st, 2010, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Hiking around St. John's Nfld

C'mon all of you adventurous hikers out there!! Question from an adventurous wannabe...I am trying to find easy (EASY!!!) hikes to drag (DRAG!!!!) young children on that are still picturesque, feel somewhat adventurous....staying in St. John's, have been searching the East Coast Trail, found some that looked good, but unsure of distances, and how well marked anything is. Father Troy's Trail out of Torbay? La Manche? Others? Anyone??!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:52 AM

Hi,

I have two young children as well (ages 4 and 6). I haven't been on the East Coast Trail with them However, there are some nice trails within St. John's. Try this website: http://www.grandconcourse.ca/trail-d...asp?TrailId=46

I've pre-selected the Southbrook Trail for you. This is directly in Bowring Park. We walked this trail a couple of weeks ago and we found it very beautiful. Throughout most of this trail, you forget that you are in the city. The trail around Long Pond is also nice.

As an aside,if you wish to get out of the city, the Salmonier Nature Park is fun and free. It's about a 2 km walk in the woods but you get to see caged wildlife -- this is our only "zoo". The park is about a 45 minute drive from St. John's.

Let me know if you need any further details.

Jill
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jill, hadn't found that website, any others you would recommend from that site? Our 2 are a couple years older but my 8 year old would still climb on the shoulders of anyone who would go for it?!?!!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 04:02 PM

Signal Hill or Cape Spear. Going from bottom to top of Signal Hill may be too difficult but you can start from the Geo Center Thingy or the visitor center. All free.

The Fluvarium at Pippy park was pretty cool. You can see Brown Trouts through windows but it is not an aquarium. They do have other fishes in small aquariums. I paid 7$ for an adult. I think it's 20$ for a family. They feed the fish at 4pm.

http://www.borealphoto.com/photos/92...4_A4PQm-XL.jpg

I just returned from St-John's this morning. Now it's back to work.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:29 PM

Too funny about your 8 year old! My oldest has always enjoyed hiking but this year, my youngest has been bitten by the bug. They're dragging me from one end of the city to the other. ;-)

As for trails on the website, I haven't been on the Neil's Pond walk in a few years but, if I remember correctly, that's a nice trail. And we discovered Branscombe Pond trail for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I've lived here all my life but I stumbled across that accidentally.

I hear that the trail around Manuels River is very nice. http://www.manuelsriver.com/

And as the previous poster stated, there are several trails around Signal Hill. The Signal Hill trail is called North Head Trail. It's a great hike. Very scenic. Lake-to-Lookout Walk could be challenging -- haven't tried it myself. Cuckolds Cove Trail is nice. I haven't walked the whole thing. There is an unofficial trail (Ladies Lookout) that connects with Cuckolds. We took the kids on that last summer but didn't realized that it is no longer a maintained trail so it was quite steep in places. The kids managed to make it back to the car on their own though.(All the above walks are shown on the Grand Concourse site.)

One last thing (since I wrote a book...lol)... The Fluvarium is at the start of the Long Pond Trail. Visiting the Fluvarium and then walking the trail may be a nice way to spend a few hours.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to you both. I noticed that the Fluvarium looked to be by Long Pond and that should be a nice outing for us. I will organize some of the other info you've both given me and see where we end up on our days, we have a full week there, and though that sounds like a good amount of time, I am sure we will feel as though we've just touched down!
Chipmunk1304....if you are still there, as a local, do you have any thoughts on a day or 1/2 day of fishing? My 8 year old loves to fish, but we don't want a true day of deep sea fishing, I would love if a local company does something more for the novice and not so serious....or serious, but not a full day out in stormy seas??!!! Thanks
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 06:34 AM

Desertchick,

Unfortunately you're not allowed to fish for cod in Newfoundland waters any more unless the recreational food fishery is open and that only happens for a limited time throughout the year. I believe one of the tour companies here in St. John's used to take people out in the ocean to jig a cod but those days are over. You can still catch a trout in a pond if you wish but no catching cod is allowed. Sad, isn't it?

Saying all that, they haven't announced the dates for the food fishery but you may be lucky to be in St. John's when it's open. Only problem is you would need to know someone with a boat to take you out.

That being said, there are some lovely whale and bird watching tours in Bay Bulls which is less than a half hour drive from St. John's. I would highly recommend one of those.
http://obriensboattours.com/
http://gatheralls.com/

I'm not a fisherman (I don't even like fish) so if anyone is reading this and I have given incorrect information, please correct me!

Jill
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jill! I appreciate the information and will see how it goes when we arrive. I have looked into the boat tours you mentioned, and we hope to do one of them when we see what is available, thanks so much for your help!!
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 05:52 AM

You are very welcome, desertchick! I hope you have a great trip!!

And my husband had a good suggestion about the fishing. If the recreational fishery is open when you get here, go out into one of the small communities and speak with the locals or the owner of a B&B. You may get someone to take you out for an hour or two. And knowing this place, they may do it for free. I'd try the southern shore (ie. route 10).