Search

Help with 2 days in Banff

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with 2 days in Banff

Hello Friends,

I have exactly 48 hours to spend (September 2-4). We have out hotel in Calgary and we will be driving to Banff. We love outdoors, but we do understand we don't have much time to do long hikes. However, something is better than nothing. This is our first time in Banff and surrounding areas but I am sure we will come here again and again.

Any suggestions will be perfect to touch the hot spots

Thanks!
Regards
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 06:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I would spend one day in the Banff town area and the other around Lake Louise.

If you want to hike you can hike Banff's own mountain, Tunnel Mountain. There are also some nice trails around Lake Minewanka just on the other side of the highway.

If you want wildlife I drove up and down Mt Norquay several times each early morning and late evening. I saw a blabk bear early and a black bear and 3 cubs late. Also a deer.

On the lake Minewanka Loop Road we were there twice and saw long horn sheep both times just past the dam. Right beside the road.

For views, while Lake Louise gets the buzz the view of Moraine Lake from the top of the Rock Pile is amazing. Yoy don't climb the Rock Pile. There's a path and rock stair that loop around the back. This is the view on the old Canadian 20 dollar bill.

I would drive 20 miles north of Lake Louise to Bow Summit. Then hike the short but uphill (in elevation) trail to the Peyto Lake viewpoint.

Both Moraine Lake and Peyto Lake have that turquoise colored water that makes them unique.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Myer for detailed response.

I am going to plan what you suggested!

Do you know the weather around first week of September?

Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 01:58 AM

http://www.gorp.com/weekend-guide/tr...a-banff-jasper.

simply awesome ride did it in September in a convertible

might do something like that...

The number of bears about was impressive so be careful...
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 02:00 AM

weather2travel.com

was great in Sept when there last

cool not too cold...
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 01:53 PM

Be cautious on those Minnewanka trails. I believe that the Parks people recently made it mandatory to hike in groups of ar least four, and to carry pepper spray - apparently lots of bears in the region.

There's lots to do around Banff and Lake Louise, pick up the most recent mountain parks guide (which they hand out at the park gates) for some information about the most popular activities.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 02:20 PM

Oh forget to mention, the weather can be anything from hot (30C = 86F) to downright cold (freezing, that is,0C = 32F or colder!!). The coldest temperatures are in early morning.
The long term forecast is for cool weather (15C = 59F) at the beginning of September, but any forecast that far in advance can be way off. A meteorologist friend tells me not to believe any forecast that's more than three days in advance

Quick things to see:
- gondola up to the top of Sulphur Mountain (Banff)
- Lake Louise and the trail to the end of the lake (starts at Chateau Lake Louise)
- Bow Falls and Banff Springs Hotel
- the Banff Hot Springs
- Johnston Canyon
- Moraine Lake (Valley of the Ten Peaks)
- if you have time, drive approximately 30 minutes north of Lake Louise on the Icefields parkway to Bow Summit and Peyto Lake

There is a Park Information Centre on the main street (Banff Avenue) in Banff where you can get more detailed information.

Don't forget that there are fees to get into the National Parks (Google the parks website for currrent information, or check this out):

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/index.aspx
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 07:14 AM

Agree with Borealis that Johnston Canyon would be a quick hike and it is beautiful- usually any people there but you will see why. Its an easy hike and very beautiful.

Ditto for Moraine Lake -
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:05 PM

We stopped at Johnston canyon on the way from Banff Townsite to Lake Louise. We took the Bow Parkway rather than the Trans Canada Highway as it passes right by.

We hiked to the Lower Falls and my wife waited for me as I hiked to the larger Upper Falls.

We're trying to Squeeze things into two days. Also, by September the days are getting shorter.

The sun doesn't set until about 8:20. If you're interested in Johnston Canyon I might be tempted to leave Banff about 4PM and stop on the way.

Johnston Canyon is very nice but if you've seen waterfalls in several places you might want to pass since Lake Louise, Moraine Lake and Peyto Lake are priorities. You may not see that anywhere else.

Some tough choices to make with only two days.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 01:59 AM

If it helps any you could take a look at my photos of our trip to Banff, Victoria & Vancouver this past July.

www.travelwalks.com
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

wow! I love you all guys! Thanks for the awesome tips. You all made my itinerary.