Help with 1st trip to Canada!

Jul 29th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Laura

Help with 1st trip to Canada!

I am in the earliest stages of planning a family trip to Canada in July 2003. Tentatively, we are planning to fly into Quebec City and stay for about 3 days before proceeding to a convention at Le Manoir Richelieu in La Malbaie. After our 6-day convention, we wish to proceed further east to either Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island (or a combination of the 3) for a week. I believe we will probably return to the U.S. via Hallifax.

Can anyone give us some advice on our itinerary and where to stay and what to see? I have ordered travel books to read up on the areas but I value personal experience so much more.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers). We really like upscale bed & breakfasts with lots of character as opposed to hotels.

Any advice/guidance is greatly appreciated!

Laura

Jul 29th, 2002, 12:42 PM
DianeG

Here are a few tips:

1) If you're a member of AAA, they have good guidebooks and maps for where you'd want to go. Get them to also prepare a Triptik when you have your driving itinerary finalized. Summer in "construction" season (except for when everything stops the last two weeks of July).

2) Getting an "open-jaw" ticket IS a good idea for what you're planning to do. Flying into Quebec City and leaving from Halifax should not cost you more.

3) It's a good thing that you're planning early: July is the busiest month for this area. Lots & lots of folks on the road, especially the last two weeks in July. Rental cars and accommodation should be locked in fairly early for best choice.

4) Try the BBCanada website for B&B listings, for a start: http://www.bbcanada.com/

5) Each province has it's own tourism website. In addition, many towns/regions also have their own websites, listing attractions & B&Bs. Use Google to search for these.

Good luck in your planning!

Jul 29th, 2002, 06:33 PM
g mitchell

With a week, consider driving the Gaspe peninsula then through NB to NS ( skip PEI )Halifax is very interesting and if you have time a loop of NS is also nice.
If you don't do the Gaspe then spend most of your time in NS, consider Cape Breton -- Cabot trail is great and if that is not possible,at least go to Louisbourg.

Jul 31st, 2002, 04:14 AM
Leena

Make sure to visit Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, a UNESCO world heritage site, about an hour from Halifax. Wonderful fishing village. Great Bed and Breakfast accommodations all over town. Do go to the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic - one of the best.

If you only have a week, Cape Breton may be too far. I'd save it for your next trip - it is beautiful.

Jul 31st, 2002, 05:58 AM
Jan

Do send for the 'Doers and Dreamers Guide' to Nova Scotia its free from the tourist board (www.novascotia.com). We used it on our recent vist to NS together with the B&B wesite mentioned by Diane. With both these resources we managed to arrange the most brilliant holiday. Would also second the Lunenburg suggestion.