help! quebec city with a toddler.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am so confused about quebec city. We want to take my 2 year old there for 3 nights. We will be driving from boston and had a few questions:
-should we get a hotel in the old city or new city? is walking a big problem? i am pregnant and cant walk up the hill a lot.
-should we get a hotel outside the city and just take their shuttles? any recommendations for around $100 a night?
-should we use public buses or trains? would they drop us right to the hotel?
-should we drive? is that difficult? can we find parking? we dont have gps and have no knowledge of french.
i guess i basically need recommendations for a hotel where we can park our car and take public transport or shuttle easily.
thanks
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:29 AM

Quebec City is basically: the old city upper, old city lower, and the new city. It is definitely preferable to be in or very close to the old city. The outlying parts of the new city are not particularly interesting. There are several large chain hotels just outside the old city walls. We always stay in a b&b in the old city, but there are also hotels in the old city, the Frontenac being the most famous, but it may be over your budget. You may be able to find a small hotel or b&b in the old city in your price range. I'm sure there are also outlying hotels that will shuttle you in. As far as walking around, many of the streets are cobblestone, but not too hilly. There are steps connecting the upper and lower city, and also a funicular, which is a steep cable car. Both the upper and lower sections are fairly small and can be walked. I don't know too much about public transport. You can certainly drive into the old city, but once inside, you will want to park for the duration. There is a large underground parking garage in the old city, and many of the hotels and b&b's offer parking. However driving in the old city is not fun, it's much like Europe, with narrow, one way streets with very limited parking. Driving around the rest of Quebec is quite easy and safe, but having a very basic knowledge of French is advisable. At least bring a French-English dictionary.
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

wow! exactly the info i was looking for. thanks a ton