Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fairly inexpensive hotels in Quebec City or close to it.

Notices

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We are trying to find a hotel to stay at near or in Quebec City without having to pay $200 a night.....any ideas???

Thanks
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:31 PM
BAK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ste Foy is the name of a community immediately west of Quebec City, and if you can find hotels and motels there, you'll save a lot of money, and still be a short drive to the old city.

It's been a few years since I've been tghere, and I can't suggest hotels by name, but at least the Ste Foy info might help you on a web search.

Augerge des Gouveneurs (or a similar spelling) is one place I stayed,happily, a few years ago.

BAK
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 05:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would strongly recommend staying in or near the old city - not at a motel you have to drive to. One of the charms of the city is wandering the streets after dinner, perhaps stopping at an outdoor cafe for a drink. Having to drive back to your room takes some of the fun out of this. There are many small hotels and b&b's in the heart of the old city well under $200 a night. Look at the James Thompson on St. Ursule. There are many other inexpensive places on this same street.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely stay near the old city. My niece and her b/friend stayed there last summer at a little hotel - I don't know the name, but I don't think they paid more than $100 / night (they are both students). They found it by going to the tourist info when they arrived in Quebec City.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the end of this month, I am staying at the Hotel Des Coutellier, based on previous recommendations here. The website is www.hoteldescoutellier.com, which is about US$140 in the high season. It's right outside of the old city.

I can't vouch for the hotel yet, but I'll post a trip report in earlier February about my trip, if you want to check back.

Karen
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Quebec City (850 Place D'Youville), and I enjoyed it very much--it's just steps from the wall of the old city, within easy walking distance of the charming shops and restaurants on Rue St. Jean. I had a nice (but somewhat small) King room with a lovely view of the city for $135/night. There were less expensive rooms without a city view. Good luck and have a wonderful time!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wide and I stayed here in October - small plain rooms but right on square with Frontenac. Lively area. Less than $200.

http://www.quebecweb.com/aubergedutresor/
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I meant my wife and I. If she sees this, I'm a dead man.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Daniel, I'm laughing out loud! You're right - if she sees this, you are a dead man!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kim - well, I am back from my trip and will definitely recommend the Hotel Des Coutellier! It was absolutely wonderful. Big room, friendly staff, warm-towel racks, a nice picnic-basket breakfast every morning, and it's at the beginning of a cute little street full of cafes and antique shops. It's in the lower part of town, a 5 minute walk to the heart of Old Town. It was great.

Karen
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 03:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kaudrey, the Hotel des Coutellier looks great! I'm starting to plan a June trip with 3 days in Montreal and 3 days in Q.C., and this hotel looks really appealing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
Linda
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Linda - you are welcome. My aunt let me do all the planning for the trip, so I was really happy she loved the hotel.

I found it here, on a recommendation from Al_ACarte, so I'm happy to pass on the rec to others!

Karen
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a second recommendation for the Hotel des Coutellier. Have stayed there twice now and, to me at least, it's the perfect combination of price, location and comfort.

AL
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops! I just realized kaudry had already referenced me in her posting.

Sorry for being redundant.

AL
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Al - you may have been repetitive, but I doubt you should ever be called redundant!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you've probably picked a place, but we are going to stay at Relais Charles-Alexandre, which is a walk from the city gate, but just looks amazing, and the price just couldn't be beat. It's worth the walk, according to the reviews I have read-it was recommended by Frommers and Travel & Leaisure magazine.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shanwake98, we stayed at the Relais for Memorial Day weekend last year and it was wonderful. One night it was fairly cold and I was yearning for some hot cocoa. My DB went to the front desk to ask where could we get it at that time at night and they said not to worry, and came out a few minutes later with a tray with yummy hot cocoa service for two, no charge. I was in heaven. We can't wait to go back to have their breakfast again! The walk is very pleasant but make sure you bring comfy shoes since all the walking around the city will tire your feet and the walk will seem longer at the end of the day. There is a bus stop right in front of the Relais that takes you to the Old City in case it rains. Have a wonderful time!