Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > HELP please, is Hotel St. Denis, Montreal OK for college girls?

HELP please, is Hotel St. Denis, Montreal OK for college girls?

Mar 8th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

HELP please, is Hotel St. Denis, Montreal OK for college girls?

Is this hotel and area OK for college girls alone for a couple days on spring break?

Thanks for your prompt reply as they want to book and I'm seeing mixed messages about prostitutes in the area!
Mar 8th, 2005, 04:51 PM

What other alternatives have you considered?; other hotels in busier areas would be better, imo....
It's well located as far as convenience but not in a great area.
How old are those girls ?
Mar 8th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

don't know what other choices they've considered -- they are all about 20.

any suggested hotels/locations? they were quoted $150/night for 4 in a double room.

thanks!
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:25 PM

What about the Residence Inn by Marriott on Peel Street, downtown, close to the McGill University?
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:17 AM

If they were my daughters, I wouldn't want them staying on St-Denis, right in the throbbing heart of the city's night life. I would feel more comfortable following the suggestion of the Residence Inn on Peel Street, which is also a vibrant area at night, but is more of a business area.
Mar 9th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! We're trying to get the Residence Inn right now.

Mar 9th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Rue St. Denis is perhaps the most fun street in Montreal, lined with cafes and shops of all types. However, where Hotel St. Denis is located, is in the seedier (near St. Catehrine & St. Denis) part of this street. Not really dangerous, and if you walk a block uphill the neighborhood rapidly improves. However, I agree that it's not the ideal spot for young girls. The Residence is fine, as is the Marriot Courtyard on Sherbrooke or the Holiday Inn on Sherbrooke.
Mar 9th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

How about the Holiday Inn on Levesque?

Merci beaucoup!
Mar 9th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Don't know any Holiday Inn on Levesque.There's one on Sherbrooke (good location), and one in Chinatown (so-so location). Maybe the Days Inn on Levesque? If so, I wouldn't recommend, it's in the same basic area as the St. Denis hotel.
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:34 AM

If you can't get the Residence Inn, try the Europa on Drummond Street, which is in the same area--heart of downtown, but very respectable--which is a newer budget hotel. Montreal is a very safe city and your girls will have a great time, but it isn't a city which rolls up the sidewalks once the working day is over. Therefore the girls don't need to be staying in the exact area where they would probably be hit on by the maximum number of guys.

Search this Thread