Search

Help! Halifax car rental advice, please

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Halifax car rental advice, please

Hi everyone,

Normally we don't rent cars when we travel but prefer walking and public transportation but we're going to Nova Scotia this June and need to be able to get from town to town so a car's a must. I've been searching for rentals and can't find anything that's under $40+/ day (which is more than our flight and way more than I ignorantly budgeted). Any tips/advice on getting a good deal on a car rental in June? (Any Halifaxers out there want to lend us your car for 10 days? We're very conscientious drivers.)

Thanks!
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 07:01 PM

I don't know what size of car you want or what companies you have looked at, but you can certainly find a car for under $40 per day. Try Enterprise, for example.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 05:02 AM

When we rented a car in Nova Scotia last August, we found that it was very expensive. There is a local company that was much less expensive but its hours did not work with our flights and there was no "after hours" drop-off. I would just google car rentals and Haifax and keep researching. I've used priceline in the past to rent cars but I could never get a bid accepted for Nova Scotia. We ultimately used, oh, gosh, maybe Budget that had a pre-pay option that lowered the overall price. Oh, and Enterprise was sold out of cars beginning in about June for the dates we wanted in August.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 07:08 PM

As you are way ahead of my plannings for the trip I can't give you any precise advice. But have you checked, if there is a price difference in booking the car from your homeland to the prices they offer you, if you are booking on-site?
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for trying, everyone. We can find rentals for under $40/day BEFORE fees, taxes, etc - but once you add those in, it's high.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps getting rejected by Priceline. At least now I won't take it personally.
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:59 AM

What I ended up doing was reserving the least expensive option that I could find that would allow me to cancel. Then, I kept looking and trying Priceline. The prices kept going UP, so I never found anything cheaper.