Help....Cape Breton, Cabot Trial, PEI info needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a bit over 2 weeks of vacation time and my husband is insisting that we take off to Nova Scotia etc. next week. OK, that sounds good...but.....
Usually, I have time to plan a trip...I think that is half the fun of a trip.
I thought I would start here and ask the experts what we should see. We basically will have 1 week to visit the entire area.
I am leaning toward spending more time in Cape Breton.
How safe is the Cabot Trail? I personally hate driving on mt roads but really want to drive that one.
How about Prince Edward Island? Should I allow anymore than 2 days?
I appreciate any opinions.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

correction: I mean Cabot TRAIL!
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 07:05 AM
BAK

Trial is OK, because some people find it a trial to drive there.

The most important business in Cape Breton is junk yards, and the supply to junk yards of really, really big versions of those hand drayers you see in public washrooms.

They are used by junk yard owners to dry out the cars that fall into the ocean. There's a longtradition of maritime ssalvage; now, instead of getting ships that crash into rocks, its Cape Breton tourists.

The water is so fluffy -- white spray as it hits the shoreline -- that the people never get hurt, and even in the waves there's enough air to breate they never drown.

They just take the bus home.

And it's a great adventure.

Some less adventuresome people choose to drive around the Cabot Trail clockwise. That puts the car on the inside of the road, rather than the cliffside.

There are pullover spots to look at teh scenery, and no-one I've ever talked to who visited regretted the visit.

A client of mine conducts motorcycle tours of the Cabot Trail. His clients love it.

All that said, Nova Scotia is a big place, and the interesting parts don't involve superhighways.

How are you getting there? Regardless, plan you trip in a circle. Ferry from Maine to southern NS, and then drive back trhough New Brunswick past Sussex and St. Andrews. Or drive across the Confederation bridge to PEI (worth a day for sure) and take the ferry to Nova Scotia, and then when you come back to New Brunswick drive through Amherst and Sackville, NB.

My advice is to stay near the shoreline as much as possible.

A whole lot of enjoyment depends on what you like doing. I love looking out the window when driving, but I have friends who prefer to stop in one town and get to know it well for three or four days.

And I like driving into the evenings, especially when there's milage that needs to be covered, while others are ready for a good long meal in a fancy restaurant.

BAK
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 07:35 AM

BAK,
Very much appreciate this valuable insight. We'll be visiting CB in October and now can't wait to try out the "fluffy" water and have a great adventure. Thanks!
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 10:28 AM
BAK

Nore on fluffy water.

One of my cleints came back from a tour and showed me her photos. Most ofthem had weird see-through dots on them.

It took me a while (I'm a photographer) to figure out the problem.

Early on her trip, she'd taken pictures of a beach with fluffy water spray, and had then neglected to clean the lens.

So the dried watr made the marks.

But other than that, she had a great time.

bAK
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 11:21 AM

When travelling from or to PEI, stop for an evening in Pictou. Enjoy the waterfront and don't forget to try out some of the eateries! If you enjoy good dining, The Bistro in New Glasgow is wonderful. Another great spot is Cafe Italia. And if you want to try an unusual(but the best) pizza in the world, go to Sam's in Stellarton and get a combo!
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, so far....
hey...I'll bring my own dryer or 2...I prefer to drive my own dam(p) car back...
At least it would be a wet landing. I once saw a car go over a mt at St Helens...it did stop rolling after hitting a couple of stumps left over from the volcano.