Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi, my name is Erik Poole and I need some tips for a possible trip to Nova Scotia

Search

Hi, my name is Erik Poole and I need some tips for a possible trip to Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never traveled to eastern Canada but hear that Nova Scotia is very nice in June. I'd like some ideas of where to visit in and around Nova Scotia or within a few hundred miles. I have a six seat airplane that I'll be flying up the east coast from Atlanta. One of many advantages of a small plane is that I can fly into faily remote airports and have access to areas that are less frequented by tourist. My plan is to fly from Atlanta, make a stop in NYC, then Bar Harbor for another night of fun. From Bar Harbor north I really don't have any exact plans. Any suggestions on places to visit in eastern Canada?
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 09:13 PM

I have always liked the Halifax area. Peggy's Cove is interesting also. I've never seen it from the air but I'd probably check to see if there would be a bore tide through the Bay of Fundy while you were in the area.

If you are not experienced flying across the border, I'd check with AOPA if you are a member or with the Canadian Civil Air Transport Board if not to get the customs, aircraft import, insurance, and flyng regulations for such a flight. The FAR's you are accustomed to flying under are different in Canada.

I'd also keep a very cautious eye on weather. Even in June, flying in the north Atlantic region can be challenging.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 01:37 PM

I think you'd find Halifax a convenient stopping point. You can rent a car at the airport and drive anywhere in the province of Nova Scotia.

You might also consider flying to Cape Breton Island, one of the most beautiful parts of Nova Scotia. You could fly to Sydney, rent a car, and explore the island. (There is also a small airstrip in Port Hawkesbury--YPS--on the west side of Cape Breton Island. I believe it is usable, but you'd have to do some research on the possibility of renting a car in that area.)

Another idea would be to fly to Charlottetown and to spend a few days on Prince Edward Island.

A word about the weather: I've done a lot of recreational sailing along the coasts of Nova Scotia. You can certainly run into rain-showers and fog in June, but it is usually pleasant weather.

Anselm
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Hi,

I have been to Nova Scotia a couple of times and driven almost all around the province.

If I were you, I would just take the easy way and fly into Halifax, as mentioned, and then rent a car and drive anywhere else you have designs on going.

I wouldn't want my intro to Nova Scotia fog to happen from the air. Geez, the worst fog I ever saw in my life was when driving from St. John, New Brunswick back toward the states at one o'clock in the morning.

You couldn't do the usual where you'd line the hood ornament up with the white line on the side of the road to know you were still in the lane. (couldn't see that far out!)

Had to look beside the car and stay parallel with the yellow line!!!! Much easier with exactly NOBODY else on the roads!

Now, as for what to see in Nova Scotia... pay particular attention to the TIDES like you never have before! The tides in Nova Scotia are really surprising (in one sense, but entirely predictable in another sense).

Deep in the Bay of Fundy, ships docked at the shoreline will be sitting ON THE BARE OCEAN FLOOR at low tide, and you can walk out in the wet sand for hundreds of yards then. Six hours later, at high tide, all of that area will be under water, with the ship still tied to the dock in 10 to 20 feet of water.

The rivers there all turn around and run UP-STREAM when the powerful Fundy tides come in.

If you're budgeting your time, I would advise allowing a completely BLANK DAY in the middle of two-day trips on scenic drives. The fog can easily interrupt an entire circuit of Cape Breton.

Someone mentioned Prince Edward Island, and while it has some serenity, and doubles as the most densely populated province in Canada (you'd never notice that), I don't know that you could happily kill a few days there.

The TOLL BRIDGE alone, to drive over there, was $37.50 cdn when I was there!!! (paid only once, when LEAVING the island)

If you make it to New Brunswick, the "Flower Pot Rocks" along the shore of the Bay of Fundy, are another tidal phenomenon.

If you're a hiker, a 2 1/2 hour EACH WAY hike out to "Cape Split", in the middle of the Bay, is a nice adventure.

Nova Scotia is compact enough so that a car is still your best means of transportation. From Halifax it might be a 60-70 mile drive to Cape Split, and then the long hike out to the end.

FIRST THING you do when getting ready to plan your trip to Nova Scotia is GET A TIDE TABLE! (online, easily)

I'd say that about few other spots on earth, but in this case it matters. Don't forget to figure out ideas about what to do during the SIX HOURS between high tides and low tides. Seeing the 40-foot drop in the water level is something your eyes will want to digest.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 04:19 AM

Ah yes, the tides ... just to clarify, extreme tides are unique to the Bay of Fundy. The tides along the south and eastern shore of mainland Nova Scotia, Cape Breton, and PEI are more normal.

NorthwestMale, I know what you mean about our fog. I've sailed in stuff so thick you could barely see the bow 30 feet ahead of you. Very creepy.

Anselm