Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

great montreal restaurants open on Sundays and Mondays

Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Looking for suggestions for quiet, romantic restaurants in Montreal with excellent food that are open on Sunday and/or Monday. Price isn't important; quiet, quaint and romantic are paramount, as is the quality of the food. I have read previous postings and plan to go to Toque and Les Halles on Tuesday and Wednesday of our Sunday through Thursday trip, however, we need a suggestion for great restaurants that are open on Sundays and Mondays. Many of the supposedly good restaurants are closed on these days. Anyone have any suggestions for us?
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:57 PM

I heard that Les Halles was closing forever; don't know when, could be done already.
The owner did not want to sell, just close.

The Verses restaurant in the Nelligan hotel on St. Paul, corner of St. Sulpice is excellent and surely open on sundays.

Cavalli on Peel street cannot be described as quiet on most nights except sundays; the bar crowd is absent so it's a good choice for exquisite decor and food.

I'll check around for others. Guy Et Dodo on Metcalfe is open on mondays; it's quaint and romantic, you'd think you're in Paris.
It's on a non descript street with a so so look from the outside but once you step inside you are charmed.

I'll try to think of others.

Aug 24th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Chez l'Epicier is open on Sundays. L'Express is also open on Sundays too but it's not exactly quiet.

I could use some more good restaurants that are open on Sundays too.
Aug 26th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Hi! My family just returned from a ten day stay in Montreal and we enjoyed some great restaurants that were recommended to us. One Sunday evening, we went to "the best steakhouse in town", named Gibby's on Place D'Youville. It was pricey but excellent!!! It's in Old Montreal and the building is 400 yrs old,they said, filled with character! We also enjoyed Minerva on Prince Arthur St. They have a great menu, everything from pasta to shark, not as costly as Gibby's(which really did have the best steaks and rack of lamb ever!) If you're looking for a nice breakfast/lunch spot,with great crepes, try Grille-Pain Dejeuner on Rue Roi. It's a nice little place and open everyday and you can have a nice stroll afterwards in Parc La Fontaine. Hope this helps!
Aug 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM

I second that motion on Gibby's !! It's my mother AND sister's fav restaurant !!