Reload this Page >

Granville Island

Search

Granville Island

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Jenifer

Granville Island

Is a trip to the Public Market on Granville Island worth or is it more touristy in nature? I am always on the lookout for locally produced goods (art, jellies, etc.)but really don't need another tshirt.<BR><BR>Also, any experience with any whale watching companies, especially those of you with young children (6 yrs. old)? Thanks

Old May 27th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Robyn

It's definitely worth a visit! While tourists do visit Granville Island, it's a place where locals go to buy fresh groceries in a unique market atmosphere. It's not touristy with t-shirt shops/tourist traps (for that, try Gastown). You'll find what you're looking for at Granville Island, I'm sure.<BR><BR>Here's a good webpage about Granville Island... <BR><BR>http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regio...&webregionid=2

Old May 27th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Brian KIlgore

Granville Island is a good place for a six year old, too.<BR><BR>There may be a Children's Museum (I have not been there for a while) but regardless, go the the market at lunch time, buy ready to eat food, and eat it outdoors, while the boats are going by.<BR><BR>BAK<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old May 27th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Robyn

Brian's right...<BR><BR>Granville Island was always a highlight Saturday afternoon trip when I was a kid... mostly because of Kid's Only! It's a market... full of toy stores! I haven't been there in quite some time, but your six year old will love it.

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Carl Z

There's so much more to Granville Island than just the Market.<BR><BR>There are lots of small streets/alleys full of stores selling just what you're after-just keep walking and looking and plan on spending some time.<BR><BR>http://www.eciad.bc.ca/eciadMain/ might be a place to check out Art in production.<BR><BR>6 is quite young to take the long (and sometimes rough) trip from Steveston to the Gulf Islands where the Orcas are often found-the last time I was in Steveston they were just using rigid inflatables-open boats with no toilets.<BR><BR>A trip to the Aquarium http://www.vanaqua.org/ might be a better idea.<BR><BR>Or you could go to Horseshoe Bay and take an Eco-Tour with http://www.sewellsmarina.com

Old May 29th, 2002, 10:37 PM
MJH

I was just there last week for the first time and it's a great place.<BR><BR>We got there early in the morning at 8:30am on a Saturday morning. Mostly locals at this time since only the locals know that the market opens at 8am (the doors say it opens at 9am).<BR><BR>It's a great place to have coffee/latte/expresso with bread/muffins/bagels or a full-breakfast with ham and eggs. Fresh produce, fish, meat and poultry is sold here.<BR><BR>I think it's a great idea to get there in the morning, have breakfast, wonder around the market for a while, then buy everything you need for a great picnic at Stanley Park.<BR><BR>The market has all kinds of shops selling wines, cheese, bread, deli-meats, fruits, veggies, etc. You can easily buy everything you need for your picnic.<BR><BR>Take the city-boat that takes you to the other side across the creek. You cna then take a 30-minute stroll into English Bay. You can continue walking into Stanley Park or take a taxi to the horse tram in Stanley Park. It costs about US$5 for the taxi ride.<BR><BR>You can have your picnic near the artist area where you can buy local art (mainly paintings) and enjoy the ocean view.<BR><BR>MJH

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:09 PM
vancouverite

Locals really shop there! THe market is great, try the fresh doughnuts. Kidds will love the Kids' Only Market. Try to arrive by the cute little ferry boats from downtown. THat's part of the fun. Lots of galleries and shops well worth buying from, an art supply store, flowers, and just a great place to hang and eat!