Good day trip from Toronto?

Mar 10th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Good day trip from Toronto?

I have a day to kill and after a week in the city, I want to take a drive. I have been in/around the Niagra Falls area and St Jacobs.
I like interesting little places like St Jacobs, with good shopping.
Any other interesting places?
Thanks!!!!
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

PS... the day trip will be on Friday, March 24.
Mar 10th, 2006, 10:59 AM

I'm not sure how far you want to go, but if you don't want to go too far, you could drive out to Oakville and wander along Lakeshore Rd. Some very nice upscale shops and restaurants. Get off the QEW at Trafalgar and go south.

Or you could head north west and go to Elora, and on to Fergus and even Arthur. You could easily hit all three in a day trip. There is a huge , wonderful clothing store in Arthur, selling men's and women's clothing. It's worth the drive.

If you want to enjoy any outdoors activities, it's maple syrup time and there will be lots going on at different conservation areas. Bronte Creek Provincial Park in Oakville and also Mountsberg , outside Milton are a couple .

You could visit the Maple syrup festival at Bronte Creek and then shop in downtown Oakville and eat there.

Are you interested in doing any hiking? Lots of great trails. And lots of nice walks at Royal Botanical Gardens in Burlington... garden areas and wilderness areas.

Mar 10th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Bronte Creek sounds PERFECT but it looks like the festival will not be open on Friday that week, which just totally bums me out.
I am not sure about the other places.
Since I live in Texas, I am looking for something very "Canadian". I liked St Jacobs because it has a lot of folk artisan shops... handmade pottery, stained glass, preserves and other food items, etc... all very different from things I could find in Texas.
Do any of the places you mention offer a similar experience.
Thanks so much for the information!
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:56 PM

The historic main street in Unionville fits the bill. Just north of the city.
March is dreary though, all the gorgeous flower boxes are empty.
http://www.city.markham.on.ca/markha...unionville.htm

also East of Toronto, the village of Port Hope is called the Antique shopping capital of Ontario.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screen name:
gemelli

Mar 10th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Darn!! I'm sorry too that the festival is only on the weekends.
Alas, I think Oakville is not what you are looking for. It's a great town, but not 'Canadian" like St.Jacobs. Very upscale, but not unique.

I was going to mention Port Hope too, but I haven't been there for years and so don't know too much about it. I din't know they had antiques there.

Let me put my thinking cap on.
Mar 10th, 2006, 03:02 PM

I've got it!!! ( I hope!!).
Kleinburg is an excellent destination. Here is a description..

"Kleinburg Historic Village
Situated within the historic village of Kleinburg, visitors will find a gold mine of charming shops and boutiques. Many of the shops feature antiques, crafts and cultural items.
Address: Islington Avenue Vaughan ON".

Also, just south of Kleinburg is the very well known and highly thought of McMichael Gallery, which features Canadian Paintings. It is quite a wonderful gallery. If you do a search for McMichael Gallery, I think you'll find lots of information. They have a show on now displaying Inuit Art.

I think this will fit the bill. You could easily spend the day at the gallery and in the town. It's not too far away.

Good luck.. and enjoy.

Mar 10th, 2006, 06:43 PM

I second Kodi's recommendation. At that time of year Kleinburg is one of the best places to go. The McMichael Art gallery is excellent. There are a number of interesting shops and restaurants in the town and it is easy to get to.
Mar 11th, 2006, 05:13 AM

Kodi, That thinking cap worked! Kleinburg is an excellent suggestion.

Has anyone had lunch at Kleinburg's Doctor's House restaurant lately?
Mar 11th, 2006, 06:50 AM

The first no-brainer thought until proven otherwise is Kingston. There always seems to be something scheduled in Kingston but check the web/dates.
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:30 AM

We had brunch at the Doctors House a few months ago and it was up to their usual high standards.

The McMichael Gallery mentioned above is in a beautiful wooded area. It features art of the Canadian 'Group of Seven' artists, plus one of their contempoaries, Tom Thomson. They also have some wonderful First Nations and Inuit art.

The Group of Seven, Thomson, Emily Carr and others of their time helped Canadians for the first time express the raw beauty of the Canadian landscape in 'Canadian terms'.The stories of these artists and their development have been told in many books.

I'm not sure where you are from, but if you have any interest in Canadian art or cultural history I do highly recommend the McMichael Gallery.

And they do have a nice little gift shop.....!

cheers

Jerry
Mar 13th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Not really much farther than St. Jacobs with lots of shops, bistros, artisans and character is Stratford. The Stratford Festival won't be on yet so it will still be possible to wander without crowds.

Instead of going north from Kitchener/Waterloo to St. Jacobs, you will just continue to go west into Stratford.

A gorgeous place to have lunch is The Church, but more affordable is upstairs in the Belfry restaurant. The food is wonderful, and the architecture and stained glass in The Church is simply beautiful. I also really like Pazzo's for Italian or Bijou for French.

There is a great little shop downtown called Kitchen Connaisseur on the main street with fantastic products like preserves, tea and chocolate goodies.

www.seestratford.com