fly into calgary our of edmonton????

Old May 10th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fly into calgary our of edmonton????

I am having trouble getting a flight from Calgary to NY on July 8th. Since we will be in Jasper can anyone advise if flying out of Edmonton is a worthwhile plan. I have already gotten many good ideas from reading all the helpful posts.

Thanks
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:09 AM

If you can get a good fare on open jaw (into Calgary and out of Edmonton), that would make sense if you're already in Jasper. While it's about 220 mi from Jasper to Edmonton, it's scenic most of the way.
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:44 AM

The Calgary Stampede is on July 6-15 which is why there are probably no flights.
Edmonton's airport is less busy and we've often found it easier to use Edmonton, rather than flying into Calgary in the summer. Driving from Jasper is easy, and you can get to the airport without driving through the city itself, which is a bonus.
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM

I think Edmonton is a very good alternative to Calgary.

I have not flow in or out of there but my adult son has. He said it was easy to do. You might want to check rental car drop fees if not returned to the same location before deciding how you want to do it.

I think both in and out of Edmonton from New York should be fairly easy. A friend of mine who was a professor at U Alberta commuted for one semester from New York City. She rang up a lot of frequent flyer miles, but she said the schedule was workable.

Old May 10th, 2007, 08:30 PM

It will work fine as long as the airline you are using fly's into calgary and edmonton. It is an easy drive from Jasper to Edmonton Int'l arpt but I wouldn't say it is scenic.
You can stop in Edson on the way for a coffee~~that is about 1/2 way.

By the way allow plenty of time at Edmonton for check in etc as the process always seems much slower there than calgary.

Old May 11th, 2007, 08:20 PM

I might add that if you are flying to the US, the security check is done by TSA personnel. Once checked in, you are sort of in purgatory until you board the aircraft.

The same is true in Calgary for a flight to the US. Once you land in the US, you deplane as if on a domestic flight.
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:20 PM

How long should the drive from Jasper to Edmonton take?
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:56 PM

>>>>>>How long should the drive from Jasper to Edmonton take?<<<<<<

4 hours

If you're going to be flying out of Edmonton Airport, add 2 hours for check in.

If it was my trip, I also would add an hour for contingencies.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank You all for your help. Well we are flying into Calgary and out of Edmonton. We will stop for snack in Edson. Now can anyone suggest a place for family of three (8 year old) to stay Sat night in Edmonton? I would think close to the airport, which I understand is south of downtown but a place that is not totally isolated. I like the idea of the Old Strathcore (sp?)section of Edmonton but we will have a car and that may not be convenient to the airport. I am not really interested in the BIG MALL. Sounds a bit overwhelming after spending a week hiking. Also any suggestions for Sunday brunch?

Thanks again for all your help. This sight is so valuable.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:29 AM

For a place to stay in Edmonton, I would suggest the Delta Edmonton South or the Coast Terrace Inn. Both these hotels are in the south part of Edmonton and have swimming pools that your son might enjoy. Both these hotels also have a nice Sunday Brunch However, there is not too much else to do in this area. There are some nice boutique hotels in Old Strathcona, but if you are arriving later on Saturday, you may find most of the interesting shops closed and more of a "lively" atmosphere with all the nightclubs in the area.
By the way, if you decide on the Delta or the Coast, if you call their parent company - Great Canadian Hotels - they have a summer special called "Wake Up to Canada" that gives you very good rates (under $100 for both these hotels).
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. That is just the kind of information I was looking for.