Travelling from Calgary to Jasper

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We do not want to drive, although this is probably be the cheapest and quickest way.
I have looked into coaches, and they all take about the same amount of time and route (via Banff), and cost about the same. I tried to find out about a train journey but, despite googling it, have not been very successful.
Is anyone able to recommend one of the 3 transport providers, know of a direct transport provider, or let me know how to find out about the train, please? We will be travelling in late September.
Thanks.
Dot
Old Jan 10th, 2013, 06:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you fly to Edmonton and then ride the ViaRail Canadian?
The Canadian only runs 3 days per week.
The Rocky Mountaineer is a rather expensive train that runs from Vancouver to Banff.
The motorcoach company of the area is Brewster.
The Brewster counter that I know of is in the east half of the ViaRail station in Jasper.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 07:47 PM

The Mountaineer is not just rather expensive but very expensive. There is no train service from Calgary to Banff or Banff to Jasper. Google Brewster Tours for information. It is not a bad drive, very scenic, 4 lanes divided to Banff and Jasper turn off. 2 lanes to Jasper. The only drawback for you or whoever is driving will be the distraction of trying to look at the glorious sights or trying not to look.....
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

I agree the Rocky is very expensive! That is going to be our one bit of extravagance - a 2-day silverleaf trip from Banff to Vancouver! amer_can, your last sentence is exactly why we are not going to drive in Canada! A bit unfair for the driver!
Thank you both for the Info about Brewsters. I will check them out again. Tom, we are flying to Calgary, all set in concrete so can't change plans to fly to Edmonton.
We had lunch with friends today who have just travelled Calgary, Banff then Jasper, admittedly as part of a tour in Ausgut, but said it was wonderful, so we have decided that we will sit on the bus for several relaxing hours and look at the amazing scenery unfolding as we drive through. Maybe we will even see a bear or two crossing the road in front of the bus, as our friends did.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 03:17 PM

Sounds like a very good plan..You will miss Jasper however unless you go by Brewster up there..I might suggest Calgary to Banff(bus) Banff to Jasper (bus) then train..CDN National (3days a week) from Jasper or if there is a Mountaineer from Jasper to Vanc. then that..Sorry that we do not have the wonderful public transport that other countries do but big..big..spaces and few few people just don't compute with econ. travel. Are you flying home from Calgary or Vanc? You will love our beautiful mpointains however you see them.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi, amer_can,

It's okay, we are going Calgary to Jasper, 2 nights in Jasper, then taking a tour/coach, and retracing steps from Jasper to Banff for 5 nights. We board the Rocky Mountaineer in Banff for the 2-day ride to Vancouver. Funnily enough, Jasper was not on my original plan until people commented on its absence and how we needed to go there.
We have nearly a week in Vancouver/Vancouver Island before flying to San Frabncisco for 4 days on our way back to NZ. I am really excited about visiting Canada, as some of the places we are going to have been on my 'bucket list' for over 50 years! I have a picture of Banff National Park that I have had for at least 55 years, and still have, hence the visit to Banff. All the places we are visiting have something to do with our extended family in some way! e.g. a great-uncle sent my parents a calendar that included the picture of Banff.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 11:37 AM

I like your plan. I think it's great that you are going to Jasper and then retracing your steps. Travelling up and down the Icefield Parkway is awesome. Truly a beautiful sight.