Search

First visit to Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First visit to Toronto

Greetings everyone -

I'm planning a trip to Toronto in August with my husband and two boys, ages 5 and 1 1/2. I'd like to know what's an adequate amount of time to spend there. We also hope to include a day trip to Niagra Falls and one of the islands while we are there.

Also, any suggestions on what not to miss while there would be appreciated.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Hopefully, the public workers strike will be over so you can tour the city garbage free and visit the islands... at that age, my kids loved the amusement park on Centre Island along with the beach.... we would shop for picnic food at the farmers market and ferry to Centre island, stop at the rides and eat near the beach... that's a full day along with naps and travel... I would recommend at least three days in TO one full day at Niagara (your kids are too young for some of the funner activities at Niagara) but may enjoy the Butterfly conservatory ... have fun
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your response. If I may add a couple of follow up questions.

1. I like your suggestion of hitting the beach. Is this the type of beach that we should bring swimsuits to and make a day of it, or just to walk upon and have a picnic?

2. Regarding hotel location, we are most likely going to have to stay at a Marriott. Which one do you recommend? The one in downtown Eaton Center, or the one in Bloor Yorkville?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 03:17 AM

1) I hope the strike is over by the time of your visit as the ferries won't be running to the Islands otherwise.

There are beaches in the area of the city called, appropriately, the Beach - to get there take the subway along the Bloor/Danforth line east to Woodbine station then the 92 (I think) south bus to Woodbine Beach - warning: the beaches are sometimes not good for swimming but at Woodbine you have the best chance. There's also a beach at the foot of the Bluffs on Brimley Road but the best way to get to it is by car. Taking a picnic to either place is a good idea.

2) Bloor/Yorkville
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 04:49 AM
BAK

These are not "all-day" beaches, whether in the Beaches neighborhood, or on Toronto Island.

There will be official department of health signs saying whether the water is safe forswimming, and if it is, the kids can walk int eh water, but Toronto really is not a beach city.

My 14 year old has nevr gone swomminghere. My 30 year old did a few times, twenty years ago.

As for Marriotts -- I think there are even more than those two.

Eaton Cente Marriott is next door to a hugde shopping center, across from Toronto Coity Hall, where there is usually some activity in the big square out front, walking distance -- stroller-pushing distance -- to lots of interesting places, including the Art Galley of Ontario.

Yorkville -- walking distance to the Royal Ontario Museau, a couple of urban (small) parks, playground equipment in a school yard, and actually connected to a middle sized shopping center and big department store.

If it was me, it could very wel be a coin flp.

I have an office withion walking distance of Eaton Centre, and a client withing walking ditance of Yorkville, anmd am in both from time to time.

BAK
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 08:28 AM

I was down at Bluffers Park at the foot of Brimley yesterday around 10 am - families were setting up on the beach with picnics and there's a photo in one of the papers today of a group picnic there.

As BAK said, they flag the beaches to show whether you should swim or not - often after a rainfall it's not safe to do so. This site http://www.toronto.ca/beach/ is the city site for the beaches and water safety.