Reload this Page >

Lots of questions regarding Toronto!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Michael Corleone

I am planning a first-time visit to Toronto at the end of June with my wife and daughter (age 2). We are from the U.S. We have booked into the Sutton Place for $149/night CAD. My questions are:<BR>1) Is $149/night a good deal for the Sutton Place?<BR>2) How central is the hotel to attractions (we don't mind walking)?<BR>3) Would there be a comparable hotel in the same price range more centrally located to attractions?<BR>4) What attractions would be of interest to my daughter? We were thinking of going to Paramount Canada's Wonderland. Would this place be appropriate for her? Any way to get discount tickets for this place?<BR>5) What would be some inexpensive dining options for a couple with a small child within close proximity (2km, 1.2 miles)of hotel?<BR>6) A website I was on said the CN Tower and Harborfront were approx. 13km or 8 miles from the hotel. Is this accurate?<BR><BR>Any opinions or suggestions as to what to see and do or where to stay would be appreciated. <BR><BR>Sorry about all the questions; I just like being prepared and in the know. Thanks a million!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Ariel

Michael - I can't comment on the hotel since I live here - lots has already been posted about T.O. hotels, so try doing a search on that. not sure about restuarant around the hotel because I don't know where the hotel is.<BR><BR>I wouldn't reco Canada's Wonderland for a 2 yr old (I have a daughter just coming up to 3 in June). Wonderland is really for older kids and adults. Also it is very expensive (I would suspect that even with the exchange rate you would find it a lot). Plus it is a good 30-45 min north of Toronto, in good traffic.<BR><BR>Places to check out with her:<BR>1. Toronto Island - rides for the little ones, beaches, places to have a picnic or BBQ, great little artsy homes on Wards Island. Catch the ferry over at the bottom of Bay @ Queen's Quay.<BR><BR>2. The Beaches - tons of families live in the niebourhood (including me) so lots of family friendly cafes, restuarants and stores, lots of parks and playgrounds, plus the boardwalk and of course the beaches (don't swim in the water please). Take the 502 or 503 streetcar (need to confirm with te drive that they go right into the beaches area vs stopping at Kingston rd.) The Beaches starts around Woodbine and you just star walking east.<BR><BR>3. Children's Own Museum - on university - I haven't been myself, but lots of friends have said how much their kids liked this place.<BR><BR>4. The Ontario Science Centre - now open right now due to a strike, but would probably be open in June.<BR><BR>5. Canada Day on July 1 - holiday up here with lots of fun events throughout the city and fireworks at night.<BR><BR>Hope this helps - you guys ill enjoy the city in June.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 11:14 AM
garyt

Michael - Your $149 CDN is not a "Deal you can't Refuse" but works out to be about $99 US for a pretty decent hotel. A lot of the Movie stars filming in Toronto stay there (You WILL see somebody walking around if you choose to sit in the lobby.)<BR><BR>The hotel is about 8-10 city blocks away from much of the action, and that can get tiring, especially pushing the stroller around.<BR><BR>I would recommend a change to either the Crowne Plaza on Front St. or the Westin Harbour Castle. The CP is a block from the CN Tower, two blocks from the entertainment district with dozens of restaurants, and not far from Queen Street W. with shops, boutiques and fun walking. It is also a three block walk to the harbourfront, with piers, water, stores.<BR><BR>The Harbour Castle puts you right on the water and you can ferry to Centre Island, the kiddie park mentioned above. This is ideal for your twosie.<BR><BR>Although Wonderland has a strong section of Hanna-Barbera fun for the kiddies, two may be too young to enjoy the park...I would wait 2-3 more years.<BR><BR>If you switch hotels, you will have no trouble finding cheap dining at either place.<BR><BR>There is no way the CN tower is 8 miles from the Sutton Place... maybe 3...<BR><BR> You might also join the Crowne Plaza Priority Club (free online). They always run Summer Options which could involve discounts,room upgrades, or even free breakfast.<BR> I'm sure Westin also has a Club for their properties... check it out.<BR><BR> To prevent the onslaught of criticism, these are my personal responses, having stayed at all of the mentioned properties... have fun!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Colin D.

Michael,<BR><BR>Sutton Place is pretty far North of where you want to be (maybe as much as a 1/2 hour walk (used to live next door and work downtown near CN Tower)) and is really in a residential / commercial area (lots of condos and office buildings). Would recommend Royal York for Hotel. Might be a little pricier, but Sutton is a pretty tired hotel compared to RY. RY is about 5 mins walk from CN Tower, 10 mins walk from ferry to the Islands and across the street from the Subway. I put relatives up there when they come to stay from out of town.<BR><BR>Suggestions<BR><BR>Children's Own Museum<BR>Royal Ontario Museum (next door)<BR>Hockey Hall of Fame is neat.<BR>Lots of Dining Options on Front St. W.<BR><BR>Good Luck<BR>

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Brian Kilgore

I echo the otehrs, more or less, about the Sutton Place. Fine Hotel, excellent rate, but out of the mainstream by a few blocks, surrounded mostly by government buildings.<BR><BR>Head north, to hotels along Bloor Street, or south, to hotels along King Street, Richmond Street, Queen Street, if you can do it easily.<BR><BR>Inthe shole schem,e of things, changninghotels for maybe $10 a night would be worth it, just to be near stroller-distant things to do and see. You won't want to go for a walk right around the Sutton Place, but you would go for walks near lots of other hotels.<BR><BR>Two year olds don't care where they are, really, but Toronto has several tiny-kid attractions that will make her laugh and giggle.<BR><BR>The Children's Own Museum is a great place for little kids, including as young as two. It is right next door to the Royal Ontario Museum, which is really boring for a two-year old, except as far as running in the lobby goes. But worth viting for you, if junior goers to sleep after an adventure at the Children's Own.<BR><BR>There's a nature park on Cumberland Avenue, between Belair and Avenue Road, on block north of and parallel to Bloor Street. (five minutes walk from the Children's Museum) The park has a huge rock she can climb, and it has wooden walkways through various kinds of plants, and she'll have fun there. It's free, and just behind the Chapter's Book Store on Bloor Street. This area is full of fancy stores, restaurants, art galleries, etc., that will amuse the tiny kid's parents, too.<BR><BR>She'll enjoy walking around Harbourfront and looking at boats and climbing on some statues, plus some playground equipment there. You can take the ferry from Harbourfront to Toronto Island, where there's a much better little kid's amusement park -- Centreville -- than Wonderland.<BR><BR>Centreville has lots of rides specially designed for little kids, is easy to get to, the boat ride is run, and it costs less than Wonderland.<BR><BR>Back to the Sutton Place: I can't think of anything or anywhere she would like within a short walk of the hotel, except to go to Queen's Park (which is a park next to the Ontario parlianment Buildings) and climb on the base of some statures. Not worth it. But if you did that, you'd be half way to the Children's Museum.<BR><BR>Hotel rates are weird in Toronto, and some high priced places have great discounts making them cheaper than mid-priced hotels (That's a great Sutton Place rate) but if I was suggesting specific hotels, I'd look at the ones mentionsed already, plus the Holiday Inn on King, the Sheraton Centre, The Mariott Yorkville and the Mariott Eatons Centre.<BR><BR>The subway is easy and fast and safe. Pick the front or back car, so she can look along the tracks.<BR><BR>The idea of a trip to the Beaches neighborhood is a good one. There are parks to play in, a beach to run on, and you'll get a good idea of a Toronto residential neighborhood. Or come to my part of town. Take the Bloor East-West subway to Runnymede station, have breakfast or lunch at the Sunset Grill (on Bloor, between the two ends of the subway station) and walk west to jane Street, and then take the subway back downtown. there are some parks behind the stores along Bloor, lots of little stores, places for a snack, several book stores, and more.<BR><BR>Wonderland is too far, too expensive, takes too much time, and is not worth the visit unless the tiny kid's parents love amusement parks. But it is a waste for her.<BR><BR>Allen Gardens is free, is an indoor flower conservatory, and my daughter loved it when she was tiny.<BR><BR>BAK<BR>

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Rich

I would agree with Ariel and Brian -- I'd skip Canada's Wonderland because I think your daughter is too young to really enjoy it. I think it would be a waste of time and money bacause it's not any different from amusement parks like King's Dominion or Carowinds etc in the US.<BR><BR>I'd also agree with them that a ferry trip out to the island would be a great way to spend an afternoon. The ferry is fun, and the kids' park on the island is much more appropriate for little kids (and a lot cheaper). You and your wife will enjoy it, too, because the views of the city from the ferry and the island are great, and the island is a nice, shady, pleasant place to spend a few hours if it's a nice day. Take a picnic lunch and let your daughter run around and burn off some energy while you and your wife enjoy the view of the city and watching the people go by.<BR><BR>The Toronto Zoo might also be a good choice if your daughter likes animals.<BR><BR>There are plenty of terrific places to eat in downtown Toronto -- sidewalk cafes and the like, and plenty of casual places that would be fine for your daughter. And with the exchange rate I think you'll find that things are pretty affordable. Just wander along the streets and stop in someplace that looks interesting. If you like trying ethnic food, Toronto will be heaven for you.<BR><BR>Have a great trip -- Toronto is one of my favorite cities in the world (and as an American I can say that it's much nicer, cleaner, safer, etc. than any big cities we have in the US).<BR><BR>Next time you're looking for a vacation spot, I'd highly recommend Ottawa if you haven't been there. It's a lovely city, lots of great museums (maybe wait a couple of years until your daughter is a bit older for those), nice parks, interesting Anglo-French culture, etc. I like it much better than *our* nation's capital (which I also think is a pretty good place to visit -- it just lacks Ottawa's natural beauty).<BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:36 AM
rob

Hi Michael,<BR><BR>First off, the Sutton Place is a very nice hotel, and the rate you got is excellent. In fact, Robin Leach on "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous," (now there's a blast from the past) ranked the Sutton Place as one of the top 10 hotels in the world. That aside, it is a little of the way for everything but the Children's Museum. That said, the Bay Street bus runs right in front of it, and the Bay Street subway station is only a few blocks north of there.<BR><BR>If your child is only two, don't go to Canada's Wonderland, but definitely take the time to go to the Toronto Islands (the ferry, incidentally, is right at the foot of Bay Street, so it would only be about a 10 minute bus ride on the aforementioned bus to get there) and take your daughter to the Centreville amusement park on the islands. I used to go there all the time when I was a little child.<BR><BR>The Toronto Zoo can be a real blast too, but it's a ways out of the city. If you want something more convenient, you could go to the Riverdale Zoo, which is essentially downtown. It's also in Cabbagetown, which can be a very pleasant little residential neighbourhood to go for a stroll in.<BR><BR>To get a real flavour of Toronto, don't forget to visit some of this city's ethnic neighbourhoods. The main Chinatown is about a 20-30 minute walk from the Sutton Place. Also, Little Italy and the Danforth (Greek neighbourhood) can be a lot of fun too, especially if you enjoy eating.<BR><BR>Anyways, have a wonderful trip.<BR><BR>Rob

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Catherine

I used to visit my grandparents in Toronto when I was very young, here are a few of the things I loved.<BR>Zoo<BR>Toronto Island (feeding the swans)<BR>Not- Canada's Wonderland (altho it was great when I was 15)<BR>Riding a streetcar<BR>Hope this helps.<BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 07:29 AM
firas

Mike,<BR>All the previous messages said so much all I would...<BR>Just thought of another fun spot for your daughter...<BR>It's Riverdale Farm (go to www.toronto.com and search for Riverdale farm)<BR>As of hotels, check with Holiday Inn on King and Metropolitan Hotel, they're both excellently located as well

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Therese

Great rate for Sutton Place. We stayed there last summer, and didn't mind the location, as the walking in the area is actually a bit less frenetic than things are closer to the waterfront. You're quite close to the university (so lots of good strolling, and the residential areas are nice), and Bloor St.'s right up the street. There's a subway stop right behind the hotel (Toronto's public transity is great), so you don't have to walk very much at all if you don't want. Plenty of inexpensive dining options in the neighborhood (as well as small markets for snack and diapers and so forth).

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Michael Corleone

Thanks to all who replied. Will be keeping the reservation at Sutton Place. Checked other recommended hotels but could not find a rate within $50/night of SP's. Good suggestions for things to do with a small child. The islands seem like a great idea. Again, thanks.