First time to Canada--suggestions?

Oct 27th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Janelle

First time to Canada--suggestions?

My husband and I want to plan a trip to either the Quebec or Ontario province for our 20th Anniversary. But I know absolutely NOTHING about either province or what to do. Would like to do the outdoor touring type of thing vs. operas, museums and plays. Hear there are castles, lighthouses and beautiful landscape around. Please help!

Oct 27th, 2002, 01:12 PM
gary

With all due respect, if you really know nothing about either province, this is not the place to start. Rather, after you've done some initial research you should return to this post with specific questions.
\
Ontario and Quebec are both huge provinces with a myriad of things to see and do. Perhaps some people might suggest web sites for the provinces so you could do some initial exploring there.

Oct 27th, 2002, 01:30 PM
DS

There are plenty of things to see and do in both Ontario and Quebec. Here are a couple of sites to get you started. Further, do a search on google.ca "Tourism Ontario" and "Tourism Quebec" and you'll get a ton of hits.

http://www.ontariotravel.net
http://www.bonjourquebec.com/anglais/index.html

Cheers.

Oct 27th, 2002, 03:06 PM
janelle

DS
Thank you for the two websights you suggested. I will try to narrow things down as you and gary suggested. Just thought there might be some specific favorites from folks who have visited or live in either province. I am not too picky. There is too much to see in one trip so I am sure we will just break the surface no matter where we choose.

Oct 28th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Lynne

Not sure of when you are planning to take your trip, but if it is in winter definitely try to hit the Carnival in Quebec City in February. There are a lot of activities to do and things to see!

Oct 28th, 2002, 03:05 PM
xxx

I would pick Montreal or Quebec City hands down. However, as Gary mentioned, and I hope you would know this too, both Provinces are very large and populous and there are many things to do.

Oct 30th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Brian Kilgore

In fact, this is a good place to start planning, and I'm glad you posted your original message.

Travelling by car?

Plan a circle, which, depending on your time available, includes:

1/ Toronto to Kingston to Montreal to Quebec City via a southern route through the Eatern Townships of Quebec province, back to Montreeal along the shore of the St. Lawrence River, back to Montreal, up into the Laurentian Mountains to St. Jovite, Mount Tremblant, adn assorted places, then on to Ottawa, which is Canada's capital city, then west through north-central Ontario into Algonquin Park to Huntsville, and turn south and come back to Toronto.

If time is tighter, skip the Montreal to Quebec City part.

You can avoid operas doing this.

On the route, you can visit beaches in Prince Edward County near Belleville, take a boat tour of the Thosuand Islands just east of Kingston, visit a giant old military fort in Kingston,
see low mountains and lakes outside Montreal, visit hotels shpaped like castles in Quebec City and Montreal, hike as far as you want in the Laurentians, take a steam train from Ottawa north for a half day, go canoeing in Algonquin park and take a cruise boat for a few hours through the Muskoka Lakes (home of great cottages of Toronto's older families, or richer newer familes) and end up back in Toronto, with good restaurnats and another castle, Casa Loma, which is fun to visit.

This should help you get your planning and research narrowed down.

BAK

Oct 30th, 2002, 08:49 AM
zootsi

The Provence of Quebec travel office offers some very helpful(and free) books on all parts of the provence, including Montreal and Quebec City. I find these books to be better than most travel books you can buy in the store. I imagine Ontario has something very similar. This would be a good starting point.