Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cape Breton in late June or mid-September?

Oct 29th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Randy

Reliable, dry weather is my first priority for hiking and scenic driving in Cape Breton. Would a late June/early July trip be better than a mid/late September visit? Both times should be slightly less crowded than peak summertime, and each offers different seasonal scenery. Are there any other considerations/distinctions between the two times? Are black flies a problem when hiking in June/July?

Oct 29th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Liz

Have only been to CB in August-Found misquitoes to be a problem. Assuming CB is similar to Maine, I would think mid-september would be best, for weather and less bugs. By-the-way, we thought Nova Scotia, and CB weren't crowded, even in august.

Oct 29th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Molly

I agree - mid-Sept. is a better bet weather-wise {though the weather is fickle}.
Like Liz, I haven't found most areas of Nova Scotia to be crowded even in the summer, so you might still want to consider July and August. The Skyline Trail and Baddeck gets a bit busy during these months, but not horribly.

Oct 30th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Tanya

If flies are a big problem, choose September as your timeframe. September would probably be more pleasant, warm in the daytime but cool in the evening. If camping, you may find more open in June/July as a lot of private campgrounds close up Labour Day.