First time in Canada

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in Canada

I'm traveling with my husband and 3 children for the first time to Canada, and we plan to stay there for a week, after a cruise departing from Vancouver to Alaska.
Can you give us some suggestions to where to go, for how long and what to do. Should we go to Victoria?
My children ages are 12,11 and 7.
Thank-you in advance
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Before deciding you should use the Search function and read several dozen older posts on Vancouver-lots of info/comment/opinion on tap.
Note that Canada is a vast country-your visit will be to the province of British Columbia.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 10:37 AM
BAK

There's a wonderful museum in Victoria that children love, and that's one of the attractions of the city. There's a great public garden, but children are not as entusiastic about this.

Since you are going on a cruise, the ferry ride to Vancouver Island would not be a big treat.

To some extent, suggestins depend on where you are coming from.

Tell us more and we can offer better suggestions. Think about a day in Washngton State.

BAK
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 07:47 PM

Yes you should visit Victoria.
Interesting city.
Very nice place.
I have been there 3 times and enjoyed each visit.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 12:30 PM

Just came back from Canada yesterday with my 4 and 7 year old. This is our 2nd trip so I have a couple of suggestions.

1) Science World in Vancouver is a must - my kids loved it there. We only planned to stay and hour but we stayed there for about 3. There's all kinds of things to explore, pulleys, water guns, gravity acitivities, etc.
2) I would spend some time in Whistler. I'm not sure when you're going but there is a lot to do there. I would take the 2 hour drive and spend at least 1 or 2 nights there.
3) Victoria was beautiful for us but I don't know if your kids would like it. We took them to the butterfly museum and they were not that impressed. The adults loved the beauty of the city but I'm not sure if there is really that much for kids to do.

Let me know if this helps - I have other ideas but I'm not sure what you're looking for.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 12:34 PM

I wish only to alert you that it will make for very smooth stops at the borders if you make sure to bring birth certificates for each of the 3 children AND either a passport or birth certificate for yourselves.

As the kids won't likely have photo ID, it seems most sensible that both you and your husband are clearly identifiable as the two names on those birth certificates. (IF one child is a step-child, or something, it makes good sense to carry a note of authorization from the non-present parent, about the trip)

I am not sure from your statement just where you will physically BE, in Canada, during that week.

Is this a roundtrip cruise originating and ending in Vancouver, which will have you in Vancouver for a week?

If so, Vancouver is large and diverse with many different things suitable for parents and children.

Stanley Park
Grouse Mountain Skyride
Granville Island
Vancouver Aquarium (one of the best, and IN Stanley Park)
Gastown for dinner
etc.

Don't forget, the kids will have fun just walking up to the candy counter at many stores, where they will see so many different candy bars. (not that they need to sample all, but just the subtle differences that assure they're in "Canada" will capture their attention more than you think)

Vancouver is great for walking around even late at night, IN THE CENTRAL DOWNTOWN AREA. Granville street is a suitable walking adventure at night.

Shopping and dining can generally be done along Robson Street.

It will all go smoothly in Vancouver.