Fireworks in Montreal?

Search

Fireworks in Montreal?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fireworks in Montreal?

I'll be in Montreal July 24th, and I see that the International Fireworks competition will be on that night. I also see that tickets are for sale, which was a bit of a surprise as I would have thought that the fireworks would be easy to see without special seating. Do I really need a ticket?
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Fireworks are not in downtown Montreal, but at the La Ronde amusement park on an island.Views are partially blocked by the rides there! Many people go to one of the bridges nearby to watch the fireworks but car traffic is restricted for hours before.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Ah, thanks for the information! I won't have a car - is it easy to access the bridges or the park by public transport?
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 12:02 PM

I see that there is also an "International Fireworks Competition" scheduled for at Quebec at Lac-Leamy on August 18 to 22. Does anyone know anything about this one and what is the difference between it and the one you are talking about in Montreal? I understand there is also a large fireworks display in Vancouver around that time also. My wife is into fireworks display and that might be one reason for us to visit Quebec during the summer. But she would like a truly large one.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Ir's actually easier to get to La Ronde by Metro than by car.

If you go on a fireworks evening it will be crowded and you have to buy a separate ticket for seating at the fireworks in addition to the regular admission (or the fireworks ticket includes the park--I forget). I've never gone there for the fireworks so I don't know how practical it is to watch them from other parts of the park.

The bridge that is closest, the Jacques Cartier is a bit of a walk from the eastern edge of the Vieux Port area. It looks like the Papineau Metro station is pretty close to the bridge
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 02:12 AM

<<I see that there is also an "International Fireworks Competition" scheduled for at Quebec at Lac-Leamy on August 18 to 22. Does anyone know anything about this one and what is the difference between it and the one you are talking about in Montreal?>>

It's a major fireworks show and comparable to the one at LaRonde.

Just be aware that Lac Leamy is not in Quebec City, but in the city of Gatineau (across the river from Ottawa.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 04:30 AM

If you like fireworks, spend the money and go out to La Ronde. My husband and I were in Montreal for one night of the fireworks competition at La Ronde last year (we saw the South African entry) and loved it so much that we decided right then that we would have to go back this year --we'll be there in early August! We don't rent a car in Montreal and I think the metro is the best way to get out there and back -- it's very easy -- just follow the crowds from/to the Metro stop. You can see some of the fireworks without being at La Ronde, but being there in the seating area is spectacular -- there are a number of fireworks that are shot from the lake in front of the seating area, and the music with the fireworks was wonderful. Enjoy!!
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sea_Marks - I think I may spring for the ticket. How much ahead of time do I need to get there?
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 04:07 AM

We aren't huge amusement park fans, so we didn't go until later in the evenng, but your ticket is for the whole amusement park as well as the fireworks. Your tickets are for reserved seats, so you don't have to worry about getting there early to get a seat. If you enjoy fireworks, you will love this -- we'll be there for the French entry this year, the first weekend in August. We've rented an apartment this year, so we can enjoy all of the great produce from the Jean Talon market and just spend the rest of a long weekend wandering around, and enjoying, Montreal.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 08:16 AM

Isn't the 24th St Jean Baptiste day in Quebec? Sort of like July 4th in the US, but different.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

A quick check says that's June 24th, not July. I thought I had checked for things like that... See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...y_%28Quebec%29 for why it's a holiday.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Sorry, I misread your OP, I read "fireworks" and "Juxx 24" and assumed it was SJB day. It's an interesting holiday with a few political overtones. Everybody enjoys the holiday, but some people call it fete St Jean Baptiste, and others call it fete nationale, largely depending on their political leanings.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 06:53 PM

We were there last summer for the Chinese fireworks. We bought the tickets and went to the park a little ahead of time so my children could ride the rides. Unfortunately, a wicked thunder and lightning storm came by so they were not able to ride most outdoor rides. The fireworks went on even though it was raining and lightning. I was a little uncertain of the weather but we thoroughly enjoyed the show even though we got drenched! So remember, the fireworks go on rain or no rain!
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

I certainly don't want to ride anything! But I'll make sure to take my umbrella along. Is the seating area covered?
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 03:11 AM

Not our seats! I think it might be covered depending upon where you buy your seats, but I can't remember for sure. Check the web site for La Ronde and the fireworks. They answered my emails when I sent them questions.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 08:49 AM

I don't believe that any of the seating area is covered -- if it were, you wouldn't be able to get a great view of the sky fireworks.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 01:38 PM

We will be getting into Quebec City early evening of 11 August, the last day of the City fireworks, after a long drive. We do not know the city. We are staying in the old port area. Is it possible to see the fireworks for free from the city rather than going to the Falls?
Thank you.