Favorite wineries near Naramata

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will spending one night at The Naramata Heritage Inn next week. Our time will be limited however, we would like to visit several wineries in the area. Any reccomendations for wine tastings and also restaurant recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 10:39 PM

I don't know about good restaurants in Naramata anymore. There used to be a real gourmet restaurant that you needed reservations well in advance - but sadly they aren't there anymore. That sure helps you doesn't it?? One winery in the area that is a must - their wines are some of the best and it isn't too big (none of them are in that area) and - they don't charge for tastings is La Frenz. You should definitely go there if nothing else. They are closer to Penticton than Naramata but nothing is that far. Lang Winery is good and there is a small one you have to watch for signs that have wonderful wines called Kettle Valley. In that area there are no really big wineries so you can just check them all out. La Frenz is absolutely the best. They have several awards for whites and reds. It is run by a husband/wife team from Australia.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:27 AM

We like Lang's as well!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you traveller69 and klamchowder for your winery suggestions. We are looking forward to visiting your recommended wineries.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 02:27 PM

I again

As a matter of fact we were at a winery yesterday that was highly recommended to us - Benchland Winery. Their wines were excellent and very reasonably priced. It is just out of Penticton on the way to Naramata.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Poplar Grove also has some beautiful wines and they are known for their cheeses they produce as well. Their wines are hard to find and well regarded so it might be worth a visit!
I second the La Frenz recommendation...You might also enjoy a stop at Red Rooster as their wines are highly regarded as well.
Kettle Valley Wines are excellent...big bold reds, excellent whites. A very small operation but well worth a stop.
cheers,
cc
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:19 AM

To Chico

Congratulations on staying at the Naramata Inn and spa you will love it. It has a great wine bar/bistro and a lovely dining room, they feature local wines. Wineries in the area that are great are: Red Rooster, Lake Breeze, Langs, La Frenz, and Hillside winery also has a restauant that is quite nice.

If your time is short you should do well with eating at the Inn, The wine bar/bistro has an outside patio which is lovely for lunch and lunches are also nice at Hillside winery and Lake Breeze winery.

All of the wineries offer wine tasting, usually for free, however Ice wine tasting usually costs $2 or $3 dollars. All of the wineries I've listed are relatively close together.

Hopefully this info helps. Enjoy your stay in Naramata, on of the lovliest spots I can think of.

R.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Wow what a great help you have all been!
re00101 thank you for your feedback on the Naramata Inn and the surrounding area...just what I needed.
This will be our first visit to this area. We leave tomorrow on a 16 day motorcycle journey from Chico, CA. Plan on stops in Oregon, Washington, Vancouver, Naramata, Banff and surrounding areas and on to Glacier Park, Mt. then work our way home. I have wanted to visit this wine area for a long time, so for me it will be one of the highlights of this trip. Again, many thanks for all your wonderful information.
Trish
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Just a little add on here re charges for tastings. We have never had to pay for a tasting because if you buy a bottle or more they do not charge. That is just to prevent people doing the rounds who just want free samples. As a matter of fact we haven't done any of the wineries I mentioned in an earlier post without buying at least a case. Thats how good they are. Capt Canuck I have heard a lot a good things about the Poplar Grove cheeses as well but for some reason we haven't been there. Good reason to go back!!! We actually have a summer place in Oliver so needless to say we are becoming expert on the wineries in this area. Lucky us!!!!
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Thank you all for your info also. My husband and I [from California also] are spending three days in the Naramata area. We appreciate the info. We have i the past when we have visited wineries in Calif, Oregon Wash and also in Europe made appointments for a private tour and sometime even barrel tasting with the winemaker. Is this something we can do in the Okanagan Valley also? We know we can visit the tasting rooms and taste the wine, but we would also like the really know about the inner workings of these small wineries. Thank you for the info and opinions.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Re wine tours of the wineries: all of the wineries offer tours to show the operation and making of wine. These are usually once or twice a day. If you go and you are the only ones there and ask to be given a tour of the winery they are delighted to do so at most of the wineries.

There are many many wineries in the okanagon valley and somewhat like Napa it would take days to see them all. But the Naramata area is building up a good source of varietal wineries. There is also A fruit winery along the Naramata Road. It's name Is Elepahnt ? . I cannot remember the full name, but it's wines are lovely as well. Great for a dessert wine.

Wine tasting is for free, and while the vinters would like you to buy it is not necessary if you don't like the taste. And, It's not necessary to buy a case of wine. I find that we go to two or three wineries a day and if we like a particular type of wine we will buy a bottle or two at each. After a week or so there we usually end up with a good variety from different wineries.

To all who go,

Enjoy
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 04:07 PM

The winery you are referring to is Elephant Island.

If you call ahead and ask about tours they may oblige but at this time of year the little wineries are pretty much swamped with tourists. They are more accommodating in the spring and fall.