Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fantasic French Fireside Dining in Mntreal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going for our 20th anniversary in feb. We are going to Bonaparte, Chez la Mere Michel. Where else is fantastic, elegant, romantic with fireplaces for lunch or dinner? Thanks to all!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:03 AM

I'm racking my brains here; I can't recall a single fireplace in the restaurants I like in Montreal.
Le Muscadin in old montreal is a favorite italian that is quite elegant.
Verses at the Nelligan hotel is romantic and elegant at all times, even lunch.

The atmosphere at lunch time is very business like in most places; they cater to businessmen who are slightly rushed.

Guy & Dodo Moralis on Metcalfe is a good one for dinner; don't be deterred by the construction going on outside, it's awful.

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Try asking this question on chowhound.com (Montreal section).

I'm sure someone will have an answer for you there.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:58 AM

I just went to Bonaparte during Christmas. There was a fireplace. But its not all that romantic if that is what you are looking for. The dining area was all open..no romantic corner if that is what you are looking for.

http://www.bonaparte.ca/en/rest-salons.html

Here is a link...you can sort of have a small view of the restaurant. I went with my girlfriends, and we were place at a table of 8 diagonal of that fireplace. But that dining room is just one big rectangle.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM

I'd recommend taking a drive out to Hudson for an evening. Hudson is a 40-minute drive from downtown Montreal and is a small, very quaint community in a country-like setting.

The two restaurants I know there are Mon Village and the Willow Place Inn. Both are very romantic and have fireplaces. Neither are French, though (Mon Village has steak, fish and poultry. I believe the menu for Willow Place Inn is onlin:http://www.willowplaceinn.com/English.html).

Willow Place Inn sits on Lake of Two Mountains, which you can view from the main dining room. It is also, as its name suggests, a darling and romantic country inn.

There is also a restaurant called Clementine's, which is known to be romantic and yummy. I have never been there myself, but I am sure there are others reading this post who can tell you about it.
Now that I reread the date of your post, I realize you have probably come and gone already! Well, hopefully someone can benefit from this advice!

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 03:35 AM

paul, you are so right, I always forget to recommend Hudson. I've been to Clementine many times and it's a gem; they have a butterscotch sauce recipe that they are famous for.

I do hope canterbury tells us how the trip went, I always love hearing trip reports for Montreal.