Search

exploring Mount Royal tips needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exploring Mount Royal tips needed

Hi All,

Will be in Montreal Nov 7-9 and want to explore Mount Royal a bit without a HUGE amount of walking. Any suggestions on the best things to see and ways to get there? We are staying right downtown and have about 3-4 hours to spend. Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 03:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
http://www.lemontroyal.qc.ca/en/lear...al/homepage.sn

Mark
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch Mark, but I already had the site..just wanted some real folks' ideas.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 09:32 PM

Welcome.
Since you just dissed Mark as not being a "real folk", I am sure we will all be tripping over our feet in our rush to help you.

Enjoy your stay.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 04:27 AM

Hello. A few ideas.

My aunt visiting could only walk 10 minutes at a time due to infirmities. We took the #11 Montagne bus from Mont-Royal metro (orange line) westward, which actually does quite a lovely serpentine ride up the "mountain" side; you could get off at the Belvedere lookout or a later bus stop (ask a fellow passenger). From the later bus stop, it's about 10 (15 with my aunt) minutes to walk to the overview from the chalet and similar to Beaver Lake in the other direction. That's probably the way requiring least walking.

If you're willing to walk for a few hours; I recommend going north through McGill campus, strolling past some of the gorgeous greystones of the McGill Ghetto (Hutchison, Durocher, Lorne Crescent have some handsome architecture), eventually hitting Ave du Parc (~40 minutes walk). Take a side path up the side of the mountain; the wide path after about 45 minutes walk will take you to the steps that lead to the viewpoint in front of the chalet. Depending on how far west you are downtown, it may be faster to take the path up the mountain on Peel St. or the wooden steps on Boul. Cote des Neiges (near the intersection with the Boulevard).

If the weather's not too bad, you very well may see ME cycling on the mountain as I use the wide path on Mont Royal to commute every day possible.

DANIEL
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 06:34 AM

Heard about this on Canada AM this morning:

"Montreal, September 21, 2008 - The Canadian Press - Montreal unveiled its new self-service bicycle system Sunday. The program, named Bixi, will allow residents to borrow bicycles from one station and drop them off at another.

“You grab it, you ride it, you bring it back,” said Montreal's mayor Gerald Tremblay during a news conference. “It will become an emblem for Montreal.”

Twenty-four hundred bikes will be available at 300 stations in six Montreal boroughs.

The service, based on similar public bike systems in European cities like Paris and Barcelona, will be available in the spring of 2009.

The $15-million system was paid for by Stationnement de Montreal, a company that manages the city's on-street parking. They hope to recoup their investment through membership fees.

Memberships will cost $78 per year, $28 per month, and $5 for the day. A bike can also be borrowed free for 30 minutes.

The bikes, designed entirely in Quebec, are made of 100 per cent recyclable aluminium. The parking stations are also powered by solar energy.

The name Bixi — a combination of the words taxi and bicycle — was chosen as part of a citywide contest in which residents voted on almost 9,000 different names."