Walk from Coliseum to Vaitcan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be in Rome and have a Scavi Tour reserved at 9:15am on a Tuesday.
We are staying near the Coliseum. Is it possible to walk from the Coliseum to the Vatican? If so, how long would it take? I do Google maps, but they only show driving directions.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:54 AM

It would take about 20-25 minutes at a comfortable pace IF you know how to get there. Once you get to Piazza Navona is about 10-15 minutes to the Basilica colonnade. By the way, you do know there could be a security line? Factor that in. Whatever you do, DO NOT miss the Scavi Tour; do whatever you must to be there when you should, including paying for a taxi ride. If I were you, I would leave the hotel the latest an hour earlier.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:55 AM
J62

Yes, it is possible, but it's a long walk - about 3-4miles. I'd say about 30min uninterrupted, brisk walk.

There is good, frequent bus service that costs about 1 Euro per ride. The quicker you familiarize yourself with the bus service the more you'll be able to explore Rome without tiring yourself before you get to your destination.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 09:02 AM

I wouldn't walk it - since you will undoubtedly be doing a whole bunch of walking the rest of the day.

But, yes, if you're used to walking it can be easily done - it's about 3 miles.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

My fear in taking public transportation is that will be during the morning rush hour. Sometimes in big cities you can walk faster that taking a bus.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Hi B,

I've walked from the Coliseum area to the Vatican many times during my visits to Rome, and I agree with Viajero2 about the time requirement. However, I've never seen a security line for the Scavi Tour as you enter from the opposite side of the main entrance to St. Peter's where the general public are entering.

Mike
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 02:53 AM

20-25 mins, Viajero?? You must be a seriously fast walker I don't think I could run there in that time.

I'd go by bus ...

Steve

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:07 AM

For walking directions, you can use www.mappy.com.

The problem with taking the bus is that you probably have to change buses at Largo Argentina.

You can take the Metro, changing trains at Termini. It might be fastest, but it will be crowded at that hour of the morning. But the buses will be too...

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:26 AM

Is taking a taxi a viable option?

We are in the same predicament. We have a Vatican Museums Tour scheduled on our first full day after arriving in Rome. My concern is we won't have enough time to familiarize ourselves with public transportation or walking directions.

We also will be staying in an apartment in the Coliseum area. Actually about 2 blocks south of the Coliseum.

Thanks,
Lydia
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:28 AM

Another vote for the bus. It would take me at least an hour and I've learned after quite a few visits to Rome to get a bus whenever possible - especially to the Vatican which is quite far from the other main sights - to avoid getting tired sooner than I have to.

Access depends on what's going on & whether you need to check in bags. When we did this tour St Peter's Square was set up for a big ceremony the next day & full of chairs. We had to walk round the right hand side of the square (in itself a 5-10 minute walk for me), go through security to the right of the Basilica, go to the left luggage down the right hand side of the Basilica to check in our bags, then go through the arch to the left of the Basilica to get to the excavations office. From differing accounts here it sounds like their strictness re bags varies; but when we went, anyone arriving with even a small handbag was sent away to check it in, and I'm not sure all of them made it back in time for the tour...
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:29 AM

P.S. Out tour was a similar time and we didn't have to queue at security.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 05:43 AM

We were there in early December for the same Scavi tour and never had to queue at all. We also stayed in an apartment near the Colosseum and, as I recall, we took the Metro from Colosseo to Termini (Line B) and then changed at Termini to Line A and got off at Ottaviano San Pietro, from where it was a short walk to the Vatican. The Metro was a little crowded, but it was not unbearable and the whole trip from the time that we left the apartment until we arrived at the Vatican was probably not more than about 30 minutes.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 05:48 AM

Walk from the Coliseum to the Vatican?

No, I wouldn’t do this. Bus? I suppose that’s possible. I would cut to the chase: Take a taxi.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:20 AM

According to mappy.com, it will take 57 minutes to walk from the Colosseum to St Peter's Basilica.

Me? I would take a taxi.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

My fear is taking a taxi during rush hour.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:13 AM

Taxi drivers in Rome are amazing. They will get you there, even in rush hour. Take a taxi.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Bindery:

You said, ”My fear is taking a taxi during rush hour.”

You have more to fear if you take that walk during rush hour.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Bindery:

Take a taxi...walk back if you wish.

stu t.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Just be sure to tell your taxi driver that you want to go to Piazza San Pietro, NOT the Vatican Museums. The entrance to the museums is a long walk around the Vatican walls for the piazza (where you will need to be to access the Scavi tour).
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Based on my walking times in NYC (and I walk at a pretty good clip), it takes about 20 minutes to walk 1 mile, so mappy.com's estimate of 57 minutes (given it's about 3 mi), sounds reasonable.

COnsidering you'll be on your feet for the tour, a bus or taxi may be the way to go. You can always wander back after the tour if you feel up to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -