Edith Cavell or Kinney Lake

Aug 2nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Edith Cavell or Kinney Lake

We will be holidaying in Alberta/BC at the end of August and unfortunately don't have the time to do both a walk at the Edith Cavell area in Jasper as well as the walk to Kinney Lake at Mount Robson (we will not get all the way to Berg Lake). Has anyone who has done both any views on which they preferred? With many thanks.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:13 AM

In September 2000 I was lucky enough to enjoy exploring both of these areas. Sorry, but I cannot tell you that I preferred one place over the other...they were different settings in my opinion. At Mt. Edith Cavell I only took the 1.6 km interpretive hike, which ended at Cavell pond where the Angel Glacier empties. It was very interesting to learn about Edith Cavell, the glacier and see the big chunks of fallen glacier ice up close. There's another 8 km return hike to Cavell Meadows that I did not take...next time!

The hike to Kinney Lake is an easy 4.5 km (one-way) walk. The lake is surrounded by mountains and is a photographer's paradise! It was a delight to photograph all of Mt. Robson and surrounding mountains in perfectly clear weather. If you are driving from Jasper, it's about an hour drive, if I remember correctly...with beautiful views along the way.

Enjoy your Alberta and BC holiday!!

Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:01 PM

IF the day is clear, the walk to Kinney Lake where you can gaze skyward toward the summit of Mt. Robson is tremendous.

I also love the sight of the Angel Glacier coming out of its cirque and spilling down the side of Mount Edith Cavell.

You can take part of the trip to Cavell Meadows and see many gorgeous views of the mountain and the glacier.

If I have to chose just one, I think I would give the nod to Edith Cavell.

I say this mainly because Robson is mostly a walk up, look, and walk back. You are in the trees and see very little until you get to the opening provided by the lake.

At Edith Cavell, you have views coming and going.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:43 PM

Don't forget that Edith Cavell's hiking path is at the end of a winding 14km mountain road, all paved. For some - like me - that alone is worth going; for others, it's a long scary drive up the mountain.
Aug 5th, 2005, 11:54 AM

I have not been to Mount Robson so I can not comment. I have heard that the glacier at Cavell pond no longer reaches the water. The parking there can also be difficult, filling up by noon. It is a wonderful hike. Worth the effort to get there early.
Aug 5th, 2005, 12:48 PM

The glacier has retreated up the slope unfortunately. All glaciers are melting away. I am surprised this one still drops out of its cirque and flows down so steeply.