grinnell hike doable?

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:46 AM
njs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinnell hike doable?

We will carrying our 11 month old in a backpack(with frame).
Is the trail too narrow and dangerous?
Do you think I will be able to hike?
How much time should I budget for the Grinnell hike?

Has anybody seen similar tourists in GNP?
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:47 AM
njs
Original Poster

We will be visiting around mid sept.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM

topping for njs
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 04:12 PM

you don't have to go to the tippy top to the glacier. you can stop almost at the top and it isn't too bad but i have to say a much better hike woudl be iceberg lake this has no problems and it is really a beautiful hike. i've done both and liked iceberg better BUT at grinnell i saw big horn sheep, didn't see them at iceberg.

both hikes are 3 to 6 hours round trip depending on ability and how much you like to take in the scenery. I would buget 4 to 5 hours for iceberg and 3 to 4 for grinnell (if you don't go to the very top)

i've seen every type of visitor in glacier my favorite being a little old couple from germany who left me in the dust with their hiking! this is one of my favorite places on the planet have a great time. it will be chilly at night in sept.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:31 PM

I am not sure which one of the two hikes, Iceberg Lake or the Grinnell Glacier, to recommend any longer. The Grinnell hike used to be an adventure, but areas where I walked on ice in 1966 is now barren rock. The old glacial center is more an iceberg lake than a glacier any longer.

Iceberg Lake is a lake that sometimes has ice chunks floating around in it until mid August. More than likely, the ice will be gone by the time you get there.

You can shorten the Grinnell hike by taking the boat from the hotel across the first lake, walk a short portage, and take a second boat across to where the trail begins to ascend more steeply as you leave the lake and climb the side of the valley.

The trail to Iceberg Lake gains less altitude than the Grinnell hike, which may be a factor because you have some extra weight to carry.

Given the circumstances, I think I would recommend Iceberg Lake. The lake itself is in a cirque surrounded by towering walls of about 3,000 feet.

If you are very fit, then I would tackle Grinnell from the boat dock.

I don't think the trail is too narrow, but bear in mid that it can be full of people.

Both trails can be hot and dusty depending on the weather. I have hiked the Grinnell trail when we needed jackets at the glacier and I have hiked it when I ran out of water. (Dumb trick I might add, but the day was so much hotter than normal that I made a tenderfoot mistake.)

There are some good web sites that describe both trails. I recommend that you consult this one, at least:
http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Nationa...ier_trail.shtm
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:00 AM
njs
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.
If I do take both the boat rides towards Grinell, how long would the remaining portion of grinell hike be?

And what is the best time of the day to be at grinell for good pictures?
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM
njs
Original Poster

Same question about iceberg lake.
What time of the day would be best for pictures?

That way we can time our hike better.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Boats will NOT be operating in mid September. Labor day is the normal stop date.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM

SORRY, my bad!!!! Boat trips available till September 15
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:02 PM

For both I would say go in the late morning to early afternoon.
We hiked both on our honeymoon in August 2000. Either hikes would be fine w/ a baby. For Grinnell, we took the boat ride and a guided ranger tour which I highly recommend. We hiked the Swiftcurrent Lake Trail. We then hiked around the lake area before taking the boat ride back. We saw several bears from the boat. Beautiful views, very doable w/ a babypack.
For Iceberg, we took a ranger guided hike from the Swiftcurrent Inn to Iceberg Lake and we still saw icebergs floating. I would also recommend the Ptarmigan Tunnel hike from Iceberg Lake on another day. By far our favorite hike was to Sperry Glacier where we saw a family of goats on the glacier itself and were able to hike on the actual glacier in the snow in 70 degree weather. However, this wouldn't be doable w/ a baby unless you stay overnight at the chalet. I highly recommend a book we used, if it's still available: Hiking Glacier and Waterton Lakes National Parks by Erik Molvar. Good luck, we can't wait to get back w/ our kids once they're older!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:58 PM

According to the official figures, you save 1.7 miles each way if you take the boat. You climb the same amount either way; it is mostly flat walking that you avoid and the time it takes to do it.

However, I think a very fast walker could just about make up the 1.7 miles in terms of time because the boat is a little slow, AND you must meet its schedule!!!!

In terms of the best time of day, that is a good question. Both hikes are from east to west with the Garden Wall shielding you from the sun in the afternoon.

The walls around Iceberg Lake are also to the west, thus blocking the sun.
Because of the circular pattern of the walls around both destinations, the sun can be behind the ridges.

If you want the best light, I suggest the earlier the morning for obvious reasons. However, I have quite a few pictures of both areas that were taken on cloudy days. There is enough snow and ice around Grinnell to provide adequate lighting late in the day, particularly if your camera has ample ISO range, or you are shooting ASA 200 film.

One aspect of the trip that I did not touch on is the beautiful view of some of the emerald green lakes that lie below you as you walk toward the Grinnell ice cube. (Hate to call it a glacier any longer because I wonder if it is now a permanent icefield that moves under its own weight.)

I don't think you can go wrong with either hike.

Or, you can do like I did when I was 33 and in good condition: Do both!!
But not on the same day.