eastern canada not quebec

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there--picture it, 5 ladies, 3 in their 50's, 2 in their 20's. We like to eat, see beautiful nature, relax, and go to "places of interest"--ie blown glass gallery, waterfalls, oldest working beet farm. We only have 4-5 days, and we've done Quebec, but we want to stay in Eastern Canada because of where we're coming from. Once we arrive, we will be travelling by minivan. The trip will be in August, any helpful ideas would be great! Itineraries? Places of interest you've been? Charming towns? Daytrips? Etc.

Thanks!!
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Nova Scotia is beautiful - Halifax, Chester, Lunenburg - really lovely area.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:47 AM
ltt

as mentioned above, halifax, lunenberg, mahone bay
or head out to cape breton
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Send for the NS Doers and Dreamers Guide.

I would recommend a loop touching on Peggy's Cove, Chester, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg and then crossing over to the Annapolis Valley - Wolfville. Lots of artists, farmers markets, wineries, Grand Pre, etc. Very doable in 4-5 days. Outside of Wolfville at Halls Harbour you can lunch outside on the wharf on fresh cooked lobster! Just the way it should be eaten!
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 06:57 PM

If you don't want to drive too far, a few places of interest come to mind in New Brunswick: St. Andrews by the Sea (lovely town on the Bay of Fundy - whale whatching, Kingsbrae Gardens, nice restaurants, arts and boutiques, nearby Ministers Island (accessible at low tide)); Fundy National Park (hiking trails, falls); Cape Enrage lighthouse (where you can rappel down the cliffs is you're adventurous); The Hopewell Rocks (a must-see if you like nature’s creativity!)

For the drive back you can check out the beaches (and the seafood) in Cap-Pele and Shediac, stop in the city of Moncton, then onto Highway 2 West, getting off the highway to explore some scenic country roads, for example route 715 to the cable ferry taking you to the tiny village of Gagetown (where you can find a couple of antiques and crafts shops), follow highway 102 along the St. John River, then on to visit Fredericton, the capital city.

This would probably take more than 4-5 days, but it gives you an idea of a few things to see in southern New Brunswick.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 08:43 PM

We'eeeeeee-eeeell,

IF this were me, I would let the combination of affordable airfare and affordable rental van rates dictate which destination would serve as my fly-in hub.

That location would dictate my exact route/itinerary. I'd also base some of the agenda on from your place of origin.

IF, lets say, airfares and car rates are best using Portland, Maine as your point of arrival, then you go there, travel I-95 all the way up... go toward Moncton, NB, then duck down to see Hopewell Cape, NB before backtracking to Moncton and then on to Nova Scotia.

Once at Truro, NS... drive northward on Hwy #104... into Cape Breton. Stay somewhere near to Baddeck, NS (maybe that's your 2nd night????)

In fact to do so most carefully, it might be prudent to book TWO nights in Baddeck. (call them nights #2 and #3 of your trip)

This way, IN CASE the terrible Nova Scotia fog might hamper your chance to drive the Cabot Trail (north end of Cape Breton, NS)... you have a chance on the following day.

You awaken on Day #3 (after night #2) in Baddeck, and if the weather is sunny, you get out quickly for your drive the Cabot Trail. Take your time, as you'll bunk in Baddeck again that night.

If it is foggy on that day #3, then you tour the Sydney, NS area and do the Cabot Trail the next day.

Then you should probably make night #4 in the Halifax area, with night #5 somewhere on the path midway between Halifax and Portland, Maine again.

Check the TIDE TABLES http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin...=5&zone=30

for Hopewell Cape, NB... and make sure you were able to see the Flower Pot Rocks at LOW tide during at least one of two possible passes through the area.

Admittedly you don't HAVE a great deal of leisure time on this whirlwind journey, but perhaps you'll find a better starting point with expenses, and you can perhaps start from a more convenient location.

"Eastern Canada" is a big place, and you don't have enough specifics to help us narrow the vastness into an obvious path for you.

With more hints at what specific spots YOU want to reach, others here should be able to do a better job of helping with information.

If you want more on Nova Scotia in general, click on my name and scroll back a few screens and you'll find plenty of threads on that area.

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 06:18 AM

I'd suggest the Cabot Trail, especially the part in northern Cape Breton. The scenery is incredible, including the wildlife, the beaches go on forever, the artists' studios and galleries really compliment the outdoors, and the outdoor activities range from gentle to rugged.

There's good info at www.northerncapebreton.com