Eastern Canada--By Car??

Search

Eastern Canada--By Car??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eastern Canada--By Car??

My destination is an Atlantic province, but am thinking about driving from Minnesota (up north, through Thunder Bay) instead of flying. We have two drivers who would switch off, and we're not into stopping and sightseeing along the way (not this trip anyway). What's it like driving? We may or may not "drive straight through" so that we can get to our destination for a week of relaxation. Is this crazy or would we still be able to enjoy some of the scenic places we'd be driving through? mapquest says it's 35.5 hours from Thunder Bay to PEI, and it's another 8.5 hours for us just to get to Thunder Bay. Thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:12 AM

Hmmmm..... 2 FULL days AND NIGHTS, or more, of absolutely non-stop driving each way - with no real opportunity to enjoy the sights or explore the country.
"North of Superior" you are certainly not on an expressway and although there are some passing lanes on hills etc there is a good chance of getting stuck behind a camper or logging truck.
The same can happen in parts of the maritimes.

Personally I would not do it - just don't see any advantage.

Jerry
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:52 AM

John: It's do-able but depends on your particular factors. Do you have kids? If so, they may not be happy campers having to sit endless hours in a car and only stopping for pee breaks and fast food. If no kids, the scene is only altered by your tolerance for driving. Also, how much time do you plan on spending on PEI? If you're hurrying because you have to be back in Minnesota in a week, then driving would be too much since you'd spend 4 of the 7 days on the road.
If, as gannetmusic advises, the route through Canada may hinder you in making good time, perhaps staying in the US and driving interstate highways til you reach New Brunswick might be the better route, especially if you're not interested in sight-seeing. I'll bet it'll be quicker than going the canada route.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:21 AM

I agree with waltd. Faster taking the interstates in the US.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Maybe a flight would be the way to go. Husband and son just got back from a road trip to Toledo (11+ hours each way) and son and I going to NYC by train in a couple weeks (one night trying to sleep in your seat, each way). We'll save our Canada road trip for when we just want to take it easy and stop here and there.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:22 PM
BAK

I'm a great fan of long driving trips, but this time I'm voting for flying if you only have a week in PEI and need to sped the rest of the time driving long distances every day.

Youmight think of something like flyinmg to and from Boston, and renting a car there for the drive up the Maine coast, through New Brunswick to PEI, and back down again. That combines driving and fglying, plus it gets you to a beautiful part of the USA on the way, plus NB.

BAK