Search

driving from Vancouver to Halifax

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving from Vancouver to Halifax

Hi,

I am planning to relocate to Halifax sometime in August. Has anyone ever driven from Vancouver (or for that matter from anywhere in western Canada) to Halifax? How long does it take? What were your gas expenses? or, how often did you need to fill up your car with gas? What were your total expenses for the trip? Just please give me any tips, pieces of advice or suggestions. My e-mail address is [email protected]
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM
BAK

Depending on how far you want to drive each day, and how much scenery you want to see...

Vancouver to Calgary is a long, long day's drive.

Calgary to Regina.

Regina to Winnipeg.

Winnipeg to Thunder Bay

Thunder Bay to Sudbury

Sudbury to Montreal.

Montreal to Fredericton.

Fredericton to Halifax

Gas expenses would spend on your car. And do you want to eat at McDonalds and Harvey's and Tim Hortons, or somewhere more expensive.

Cheap motels will save you money, but it's hard to book them in advance. Choice Hotels is a chain of medium pricedhotels, and you should be able to stay for under $100 a night.

BAK

Old May 19th, 2006, 08:55 PM

Actually, your fastest route is to use the US Interstate system.
Mapquest will give you the route in detail.

The distance is almost 4,000 miles and the estimated driving time is about 60 hours. That is wheel turning time!
If you drove 12 hours a day for 5 days you could do it. If you stop to eat, you can figure spending 13 - 14 hours a day traveling. I don't think you will drive it without sleeping somewhere!!

The Trans Canada route would be more scenic between Hope, BC, and Calgary, but slower.

Figuring 4000 miles and 30 mpg, you would need about 135 gallons. At $3.30 per gallon average, you are looking at
$450 US for gas.

If your car gets better milage than 30, you might make the trip cheaper, but not much.

Cruising at 75 mph, my car gets 34 mpg.
It has a 14 gallon tank, so I need to fill up twice a day just about.

I am still trying to figure how that is a relevant question.

Old May 24th, 2006, 07:08 PM

Driving from Vancouver to Halifax economically (using the term VERY loosely) finds that the U.S. route is the way to go, especially in these times of incredible gas prices.

Just use an online map thing for the "Seattle to Boston" path (one road = Interstate 90 all the way)

Boston to Halifax is about 800 miles additionally, and you could cut off earlier and be more direct. But that is most likely the way to go.

The amount of money you'd save on gas would be a small fortune.

Plus, it would be more convenient to drive as long as you can and stop when you wanted, with more convenient motels on the big interstate highway.

Good luck, and it sounds like a great trip to have to make... just once.

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:26 PM

We did Kamloops, BC to Toronto. We enjoyed the US route (we took the Canadian route another time). We allowed 7 days with minimal touring just that far. Are you travelling alone. Things are different with family.

While the suggestion of driving and just stop when tired sounds practical it isn't because you could find yourself out in the middle of no where with no gas and no food. You need to plan your stops IMO. Seems to me through the US significant stops were 4 hours apart. There are some hick towns with nothing there.

In my opinion with hotel, food (3 x a day) and gas I think our trip was $2,500 or so just to Toronto.