Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving route suggestions between Jasper to Vancouver?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in British Columbia from Aug 28th and will visit the following places:

Vancouver (4 nights)
Inside Passage 1st-8th sept
Victoria 8-9th sept - we decided against visiting Tofino as it seemed too far to go for 1 night.
Kamloops 10th sept (overnight stop)
Banff or Field 11-12th sept
Jasper 13th-14th sept

Our flight home to the UK is from Vancouver Intl 6pm 18th sept. We don't really want to drive more than 4 hrs on the last day.

So I would really appreciate suggestions of a route back from Jasper, we like walks, hot springs, foodie places and scenic drives. Not keen on touristy places. We were thinking of doubling back via Revelstoke and Kamloops but if we have time, another route back would be good perhaps via the Okanagan valley?

Two more questions - is it vital to book accomodation early in Sept? Which would you choose- Field or Banff?

thanks in advance
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:37 PM

Here's what I would suggest:

From Kamloops, take Hwy 5 (Yellowhead) to Jasper.

Jasper, 11-12 Sep.

Jasper to Banff 13-14 Sep

Banff to Revelstoke 15 Sep. It's a short drive, but there are many things to stop for along the way in Yoho, Glacier and Revelstoke National Parks.

Revelstoke to Kelowna area 16 Sep. As you mentioned hot springs, instead of staying overnight in Revelstoke, you might want to continue south on Hwy23 to Halcyon Hot Springs between Revelstoke and Nakusp and stay there overnight. From Nakusp, take Hwy 6 to Vernon and on to Kelowna. It's quite a beautiful route. Otherwise, continue from Revelstoke to Sicamous on Hwy 1 and then head down the Okanagan Valley on Hwy 97. It's also a very scenic route (as are most in BC).

Kelowna to Hope 17 Sep. You might also want to consider Harrison Hot Springs as your overnight before Vancouver.

You have two choices from Kelowna. If you have time, head down the Okanagan valley to Osoyoos and continue through Princeton to Hope. If you want to spend most of the day in the Kelowna area, take 97C--the Connector--to Merritt and then the Coquihalla (5) to Hope. You could also leave early on the 18th from Kelowna and drive directly to Vancouver Airport. It's a bit over 4 hours driving on mostly 4 lane highway.)

Hope/Harrison Hot Springs to Vancouver airport 18 Sep.

I would advising staying in Banff rather than Field. Field is very small and there is very little accommodation there. You'll have a much better choice in Banff. Lake Louise is the most central location for exploring Banff and Yoho parks, but the choice of accommodation is limited if you don't want to stay at the luxury Chateau Lake Louise or the Post Hotel there. Early September is still high season so I would reserve so as not to be disappointed.

Do stop in Field, however, for a meal at the Truffle Pigs Café. It's exceptional.
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Hello
Thanks for this. Yes I have seen the Truffle Pugs cafe mentioned and we'll definitely stop there.

Is the Yellowhead route as scenic as the route via the Kicking Horse Pass?

My husband is now wondering if we should fly out to Calgary 8th Sept, hire a car then fly back Sept 16th and go on to Victoria. It would mean a shorter trip back to the airport from Victoria.

What do you think?
Regards sandx
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:11 AM

The Yellowhead is certainly a very scenic route, but the Trans-Canada through Kicking Horse and Rogers Passes is spectacular.

Your husband's plan to fly to Calgary and then back to Victoria is certainly a good option which would give you lots of time in the five mountain parks and mean quite a bit less driving than a circular route from Vancouver through Jasper and Banff.

Here's what you might do:

8 Sep: Fly to Calgary and then drive to Banff (about an hour an a half drive).

9, 10, Sep: Explore Banff area. Drive through Kootenay NP to Radium or Fairmont Hot Springs for overnight.

11 Sep: Radium/Fairmont to Revelstoke through Rogers Pass.

12 Sep: Revelstoke to Lake Louise overnight.

13 Sep: Lake Louise to Jasper

14 Sep: Explore Jasper area

15 Sep: Jasper to Banff

16 Sep: Banff to Calgary airport and flight to Victoria.

There is some backtracking involved (ie between Golden and Revelstoke and Lake Louise and Jasper). I wouldn't be concerned as the scenery is so spectacular and the views are different in each direction.