Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving from Ottawa to Detroit -- Suggested stops?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving from Ottawa to Detroit this summer in one day, as part of a larger journey. In order to make this bearable for our two kids (5 and 8), we are looking for good stops along the way that are close to the main route (401). Can anyone recommend places we can stop for an hour or two along the way? Historical, beautiful, or just fun? We may do some of the driving at night, so that gives us a possible 4 hours to stop...

Thank you!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 03:20 PM
BAK

That's a long drive. So one question is how long do you want to stop.

Fort Henry, just outside Kingston, might make a good stop. Kids love forts, and they can do some running around. But it's not that far into your journey.

You could come into downtown Toronto, park down near the lake, and take the kids to Centreville on Toronto Island, but that would take a couple of hours. then just continue back out of town on the Gardner Expressway, and back up to highway 401.

If you are interested in crossing into the USA at Niagara Falls, you could show thekids the falls, and then go through Cleveland and Toledo, and up to Detroit.

African Lion Safari would take too long.

Let's see what other ideas showup here.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:46 PM

I would make Kingston or Gananoque my first stop. With 2 kids, I would stop every 2 hours. The Thousand Island Parkway is a great alternative to the 401 for this leg of the journey. It is very pretty with lots of islands and beautiful scenery along the water. Maybe go to the Fort that BAK suggested or just poke around in downtown Kingston - lots of history there. Also cool places to have lunch. My second stop would be Toronto. Take the Don Valley Parkway off the 401 and go to the Ontario Science Centre. My third suggested stop would be London. You could hit the Children's Museum or Storybook Gardens which is a recently refurbished amusement park and apparently a lot of fun. There is also a waterpark called Wallyworld not too far off the highway. After that head to Windsor and over the border.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:51 PM

I'm not sure where it is, but somewhere east of Port Hope is The Big Apple. You'll see a huge apple advertising it. we stopped there once and even though I can't rave about the food, I enjoyed seeing the enclosure outside with all the bunnies. The kids might like to see them . It's good for a short stop.

Also, there is the Bowmanville Zoo.
http://www.bowmanvillezoo.com/
I've never been so can't vouch for it, but it's not too far off the highway.

If you do go into downtown Toronto, you could carry on heading west on the Gardiner Expressway, as it turns into the QEW, continue on to Burlington and take the 403 all the way to Woodstock where it joins the 401 again. I think it's a nicer drive and certainly a lot less trucks.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the great suggestions!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM

This wouldn't really break up the journey much as it's close to the end, but Fort Malden is in Amherstburg just south of Windsor.

The guides give musket demonstrations and the kids can try on uniforms. Check the Parks Canada site for info and hours.

If you cross at Niagara and drive along the south shore of Lake Erie, it would probably be 2-3 hours longer than taking the 401 between Toronto and Windsor.

For variety, you can take the bridge to Detroit and the tunnel back. Follow the signs from the 401 to the bridge. If you take the bridge to Detroit, you can stay in the curb lane and your kids will have an unobstructed view of downtown Windsor and Detroit.

If you take the bridge in the other direction, you're either looking at the steel mills and factories south of town or the sides of the trucks waiting to enter the US.