Driving from Montreal to Algonquin.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to help of many on this site, my family & I have decided to land in Montreal for our 10 day vacation, enjoy the sites there, and then head to Algonquin Park...staying at the Barlett Lodge.

Canada is so darn big, though, that I can't get my head around the particulars.

So my thought is that we'd leave Montreal, take Hwy 417 through Ottawa, then Highway 17, then highway 60, right? Now is worth doing this in a day (we have extra days ) or is there a town/place that would be worth stopping for the night & exploring before we get to Bartlett?

On the way back (after Algonquin), we were maybe heading back down highway 41 (scenic road?) and then curving our way back to Montreal via 2 along the St. Lawrence River. Is this good?

And when we're on 40, we were thinking about maybe Fort Henry & Petroclyphs Park as two stops. Is that good?

I'm looking for interesting & scenic...speed not an issue. And my children are 5 & 7.

thanks for aiding me in my Canadian education.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Syv

417 to 60 sounds good (with a stop in our country's capital city OTTAWA). See the parliament buildings, the mint, lots of historical type places, lots of gardens, shops, etc.

Yes - on the way back definitely take a different route. I suggest #127 / #62 through BANCROFT. That's a nice little town on your way down to #401 at BELLEVILLE. Then other towns you'll come to along the St. Lawrence - KINGSTON / GANONOQUE (stop here - it's the tourist town for boat tours of the "1,000 Islands" area).

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 10:14 AM
JMM

Stop in Ottawa for a night or 2 - it really is an attractive small city with lots to do.
From Ottawa Highway 417 to Highway 17 to Highway 60, near Eganville detour to the Bonnechere Caves (if they are open), back to Highway 60. Not sure where the Bartlett Lodge is located ?
Highway 41 is scenic (particularly around Bon Echo Provincial Park) but so are most of the north/south highways (38 is also nice). When you get back to West/East take highway 2 as far as Gananoque. On the way back to Montreal consider stopping for a night at Gananoque (very pretty area - Thousand Islands). Also switch to the Thousand Islands Parkway (for its duration) at Gananoque. I think it goes as far as Mallorytown.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 10:46 AM
wow

Hi, Garvin! I know the area around Bartlett Lodge very well & spend a lot of time there in the summer. You have chosen a great spot for easy accessibility to Algonquin Park.
Doing the drive from Montreal to Bartlett Lodge is one day will be asking a lot of your 5 & 7 year old!!! It is about 6-7 hours from Montreal to Bartlett Lodge. Allow 2 hours fm Montreal to Ottawa. Then about 3.5 to 4 from Ottawa to Bartlett.
When is your 10 day vacation & from where are you flying into Montreal?
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Well, we're leaving Atlanta on July 11 and coming back the 20th. I had a feeling that Montreal to Bartlett was too long for one day so I appreciate having that verified. Ottawa does sound like a good stop...but is it still too long betweenOttawa & Bartlett Lodge? Any other places we should stop? Thank you all so much for these insights.