Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving around NS without lodging reservations -- asking for trouble?

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to make a clockwise trip around Nova Scotia beginning in Digby and ending in Yarmouth. We have already booked five nights in Baddeck, but we want to be flexible about where we spend the nights before and after CB. I'm looking generally at AnnapolisRoyal, Halifax, and Shelburne for tehother stops. Are we likely to find ourselves sleeping in the car if we do not make hotel/B&B reservations for these areas in the latter half of July?
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:42 PM

It is peak season in N.S. so you are taking a chance. I have been disappointed a couple of times because I have not made reservations at a particular spot. The result was driving an extra hour or two before I did find suitable accommodation. The towns you mentioned are popular tourist destinations and it may be wise to check with N.S. Tourist Bureau to see if any special events are happening during your stay which may give you a clue how heavily booked they are. Check this web site for further info: www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

If you decide not to make reservations in advance you can call "Checkin Nova Scotia" a central hotel reservation service that will find accommodation for you as you travel along your route. Their web site is: Web: www.checkinnovascotia.com
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:17 AM

As the previous post mentioned, just call check-ins at 1-800-565-0000 around noon each day to make specific reservations. If the place you want is booked,they will be able to find something close in the area.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the advice about Checkin NovaScotia -- a noontime call is exactly the kind of advance planning I had in mind. Fodor's members always have an answer to my questions -- you are the best!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 01:22 PM
Fairhope

I can't express to you how helpful the 1-800 number is. We made reservations in advance through them and THEN changed them based on weather etc--no problem!!

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 01:50 PM

The good thing about check-ins is that they will tell you how quickly something fills up. For example, I met a couple from Quebec in Cape Breton who wanted to take the CAT to Bar Harbour. We called check-ins standing in the parking lot of the hotel and found out how far in advance they recommended making the reservation which was a great help to them!