Drive Chicago to Toronto ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of driving this weekend to Toronto from Chicago !! We will have our 4 & 2 year old boys with us. We have done this drive before with them but I am quite apprehensive since this is winter !!! I am not sure if its even wise anymore !! Its not snowing in Chicago the day we plan to leave(23rd). However there is now way I can know the forecast at the places we will have to drive through to get to Toronto !! Any thoughts ..any advice ?
TIA
Ash
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 11:09 AM

The early weather report for the Penn/NY portion of your trip is for Temps in the high 30's with a chance of rain... I think you'll be fine!!!
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 11:19 AM

For weather and road conditions in Canada, check the Weather Network website:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/

Environment Canada also has up to date radar and satellite imagery:

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/canada_e.html

If I were driving, I'd go through Michigan, crossing at Port Huron/Sarnia and then to Toronto via 402 and 401, rather than south through Ohio, PA and NY.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response !! Your words certainly gave us some encouragement. We are AAA members so we will have coverage in Canada if there are car problems and that is defly some relief. So now maybe we will wait till Thurday to decide in case the forecast changes. Meanwhile I will get a winter car kit ready !
Thanks
ash
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:30 PM

I'd recommend the Michigan route also. It's shorter and less likely to have lake effect snow problems. For road conditions in MI, check <michigan.gov/mdot>.

I travel I-94 between Chicago and Detroit regularly and the road conditions are usually good. There are also plenty of places to stop for breaks.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 05:37 AM

We aren't supposed to get anymore snow in Toronto until after Christmas. If you take the fast route through michigan, I recommend you cross at Port Huron/Sarnia on the Bluewater Bridge rather than at Detroit/Windsor. This route is faster and you avoid the accident prone stretch of 401 from Windsor to London. At Sarnia, join the 402 and then join the 401 near London. This is how we always go to Michigan and all point west like Chicago.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions !! I think we will be taking a lot of breaks since the boys will tire quicky sitting in their carseats..Hopefully we will find rest areas easily..we have in the past always had a problem finding eating places after we cross the line into Canada. I am going to print out the maps soon !

Ashwini
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 07:18 AM

You will find a number of service areas on Hwy 401 with the usual fast food chains (McDonalds, Wendys and the quintessential Canadian Tim Hortons).

Here are a couple of websites which might help:

Border crossing waiting times: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html

Ontario Ministry of Transport links for travellers:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:05 AM
BAK

If you want to eat just after coming into Canada, take the Ambassador Bridge from Detroit to Windsor, and you'll immediately hit a long strip of various restaurants, many good for little kids.

The last time I drove from Chicago to Toronto, this is where I crossed, but I did not do any scientific study of crossing there compared to Port Huron / Sarnia.

BAK
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:56 AM

The Port Huron route is easier to cross with less border traffic, so with small ones I would tend to go that route. But only because the weather is predicted to be mild.

The weather is almost always a few degrees warmer in Windsor than London or Toronto ( the stretch on the 401 near Woodstock has significantly higher accidents in the winter) but thankfully since it will be mild, that is not a factor this weekend.

If you cross at Port Huron/Sarnia just plan to stop immediately before or after the crossing, otherwise the south end of London at the 401 will give you the usual Mickey D's, Tim Horton's stops for the little guys. Near Woodstock there are also service centres and there's a large grouping in Milton just off the 401 before you hit busy TO traffic.

Have a safe trip!
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

As of now we are a go for tomorrow !!We will be heading back to Chicago on Tuesday and so far there is now snow wither on Friday or Monday in/around Toronto,Detroit and Chicago.

Ashwini
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

We did it !!! We left on Friday and came back yesterday from Toronto. The weather was excellent..no snow no rain etc and the kids did an amazing job. We stopped every 3 hrs or so for meals, breaks and reached Toronto in 9 hours. Yesterday it took us around 9.5 hrs. We crossed into Canada at Port Huron both the times and there was no traffic at all. Thank you all for your excellent suggestions and the routes etc.

Thanks
Ash
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Glad it all went well for you. TobieT