Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

January AC stops in Toronto and Vancouver - weather delays?

Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

I'm planning a trip ATL - SYD in January with budget a major concern. A really low fare ($1600) has appeared on Air Canada for my preferred dates.

I would have to fly regional jet ATL - YYZ Toronto, change planes to their 777 for flight that stops in YVR Vancouver, then on to SYD. Same route return.

There are several flights a day between ATL and YYZ, but just the one from YYZ on to SYD each way each day.

I usually avoid Chicago, Denver, etc. in the winter unless that is my destination to avoid weather cancelations and delays, so I am hesitant to book a trip with two stops in Canada in January.

Any experiences with AC in January in Toronto or Vancouver that could help me with the decision, which compared to other fares I've been watching would save me $500-600.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 08:02 PM

Toronto is 500 miles from Chicago and is a bit further north. Chances of them being shut down at the same time seems high to me. Which airline probably does not make a difference.
Vancouver rarely shuts down, but delays occur for departures if arrivals can't depart from Toronto / Chicago.
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
BAK

I bet Chicago and Denver (each) have more airport closures than Toronto.

Don't have stats in front of me, but Toronto is on the right side of several lakes, and does not get a lot of snow.

Which is not to say it is impossible.

Old Oct 24th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Hi Kay2,

If you do go this route and buy two tickets (regional flight and AC) and they are not linked, please give yourself enough time (and I mean plenty--customs, baggage, recheck-in, delays) to get to Toronto. If you miss your connection then AC has no obligation to put you on the next flight unless you purchase another ticket.

Good luck.

JQ
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 05:49 PM

Also buy trip insurance...if you are delayed due to weather, the airline has no obligations to you, but your insurance will pay for accomodations, changes to tickets etc. That is a wise choice no matter what your route