Downtown Toronto Hotel

Mar 20th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Downtown Toronto Hotel

Hello, visiting the 1st week in July. My husband and I along with our 24 yr son. They are planning to go to 2 Blue Jays bbgames. My husband wants a hotel with a free breakfast and a reasonable rate for parking our vehicle. We want to walk to the Rogers Centre & mid range hotel $125-175
Mar 21st, 2014, 05:12 AM

Your best bet for the above is a Hotel bidding website... parking is very pricy in Toronto but there are thousands of rooms within a mile of the Stadium... pick three stars or above (we usually choose 4) and you could get a good room for around $100 (plus the parking)...keep in mind that the first week in July has both a Canadian and US Holiday...

If you just search hotels at the regular rates, be prepared for $200 plus...then add the parking...
Mar 21st, 2014, 07:32 AM

At the height of tourist season your husband can't afford to be a cheapskate. Toronto hotel prices in downtown and midtown are reasonable during the winter but go up substantially as the temperatures rise.
You can try blind-bidding on Priceline, choosing Downtown Toronto Southwest. You might end up with a fairly long trudge to the ball park, not knowing exactly where you are bidding. That's the price of saving cash. It may be early for July bidding but there's no harm trying.
Cheap parking? No such thing. In the area near Rogers the street meters can charge $6-$8 an hour and any hotel garage under $30 a day is "cheap". That's one reason Toronto has a fairly successful public transit system http://www.ttc.ca/
The Renaissance Toronto Hotel Downtown, a Marriott hotel, is right in the Rogers building but the rates on its website are $100 more than you want. Sometimes web agencies offer rates below the hotel rack rate if you shop around.
Good news for foreign tourists: The Canadian dollar has taken a dive. If you are from the US, the exchange savings could pay for breakfast.
Mar 21st, 2014, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your insite...looking at Radison Admiral Harborfront or Express by Holiday Inn...your thoughts...
Mar 21st, 2014, 06:06 PM

Regarding the Radisson (where I have never been): What you cannot tell from the Google map is that while the view across the harbour should be very nice, that strip of waterfront is walled off from the central city by the elevated Gardiner Expressway and a busy local feeder road beside it. The hotel is also a fair distance from the nearest subway stop, although if you can navigate the traffic you can get to the St. Lawrence Market area fairly quickly. In my view it will be inconvenient and certainly not give you a feel for the heart of the city.
There are several Holiday Inn Express locations. 111 Lombard Street is a more congenial situation. I've stayed at the Carlton branch, completely renovated a couple of years ago. It's in what can be called north downtown, three blocks from a subway stop to get to shopping and the vicinity of the ball park pretty easily.
Mar 21st, 2014, 07:22 PM
BAK

It's been a while since I've stayed at the Admiral, but Radisson have high standards, so it is probably still nice.

There is a Toronto Transit Commission streetcar line right in front of the hotel, and this line takes you into the Union Station sibway station, or up Spadina Avenue into Chinatown and lots of interesting places.

The Admiral has its own garage.

The walk under the elevated highway is not particularly annoying; I've probably done it 100 times. And you end up behind the Rogers Centre ball park, close to the CN Tower entrance.

Free breakfast will be a problem, but there are grocery stores and bakeries and donut shops all close to the Admiral, and you can buy snacks and eat outdoors, watching the boats in the harbour.

But I think the auction / bid sites may be your best bet. All the hotels near the ball park are reasonable, or better than reasonable.
Mar 22nd, 2014, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I was looking at the Express on Lombard. What do you mean by Carlton branch? ... Southam
Thanks BAK for your reply it was nice to hear about a hotel someone is familar with.
Mar 23rd, 2014, 08:02 AM
BAK

Some streets in Toronto change names. College runs west, starting at Yonge, passes the University of Toronto, and heads for Little Italy.

Carleton runs east, past Allen Gardens, through the gayest part of town, and into a gentrified neighborhood call Cabbagetown.

There's a Holiday Inn very close to Yonge.

Toronto is a city of walkers, but it's still a long way to the ball park.

Toronto has a lot of hotels downtown. I'm not sure worrying about $20 a night, say, is worth it.
Mar 23rd, 2014, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. I booked a room at the Raddison. As tourist in the city with 2 days to explore and then 2 days at the ballpark - we hope to do a city bus tour, CN tower and a boat trip to the island. Any other must see spots? Or restaurants? My husband and I like more "healthy - organic" type foods and seafood but my son will enjoy a burger!
Mar 23rd, 2014, 06:49 PM

Buffy80
What dates in July ? Try MARCHE (at Previously known as
BCE bldg ) for food that would work for all of you. Fresh, market type. Choices that should work for all of you.

Depending on the days of the week you will be there, St Lawrence Market is a fabulous place with ALL sorts of foods, teas, breads, fruits, meats, cheese , seafood and more. Love that place. !

There is a bus tour of the city that also goes into the water
at one point. Hippo tours? Cant remember the name of it right
now.
Sherri
Mar 23rd, 2014, 07:35 PM

Depending on where you are coming from, you can get to the city on a ViaRail train or on the Amtrak Maple Leaf from New York state. The ViaRail station is next to the CN Tower and the stadium. The Hockey Hall of Fame is also within walking distance.
Last time I stayed in Toronto was at the HI Hostel on Church St.
Mar 24th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks great suggestions. We are going to be driving into Toronto the 1st week in July
Mar 26th, 2014, 06:22 AM

Not sure if they still do it, but had a very nice Sunday brunch once at the Admiral.
Mar 26th, 2014, 06:36 AM

There are two great areas for wandering and eats... Queen St W. has dozens of shops and Bistros and sits near Chinatown... its a few blocks north of the Stadium...

King Street is near the Theatre District and features a block of restaurants that are of decent quality...
Mar 26th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

That is very helpful to get your suggestions Thank you so much