Hotel question Toronto end of August

Old May 20th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel question Toronto end of August

My husband & I are going to our nephew's wedding in St. Clair, Michigan on August 28. We have never been to Toronto & was told it is about 3 1/2 hours from MI. We are renting a car & thought we would drive to Toronto on August 30 & stay for 4 days. Since we will be spending a lot of money for plane tix, rental car, wedding, etc. we would like to stay in an inexpensive hotel in Toronto. Upon doing some research I see that most hotels charge approx. $13. per day (USD) & up for parking. There is one property that does not charge for parking & also has a complimentary continental breakfast. Does anyone have any comments regarding Travelodge Toronto Downtown West at 621 King Street West? Is it in a "good" area? We are more interested in sightseeing, etc. than paying lots of $$$ for a room we will only sleep in. If it's a dump, we will definitely attempt to upgrade. Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.
Old May 21st, 2004, 08:58 AM

It's a find location and has a good reputation. Very convenient. You could probably find cheaper at a nicer hotel by using Priceline, but then you have to factor in parking. My sense is you won't be disappointed, as long as you realize this is a very nice Travelodge, but still ultimately a Travelodge.
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:28 AM
BAK

It's OK, but it is a longish walk from the traditional tourist attrractions. But that stretch of King Street is becoming gentirfied, and a few blocks north, on queen Street, there are intereting things to see and do.

The streetcar runs right by the front door. $2.25 gets you on the streetcar and to most places you'd want to visit.

Multiply by four to cover two people on a round trip, and there are places you can get to by car, and park at, for less.

So, on balnace, it's a decent compromise location. It used to the the Executive Motor Hotel, and has been remodeled, but it is not luxury.

Check out the downtown hotels that are part of the Choice Hotels company, and compare prices.

BAK
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Mike & BAK for your answers. I also booked a room at Holiday Inn on King...I notice it's 3 blocks from Travelodge. Is it a looooong 3 blocks or a short walk? If it''s not that far from Travelodge, then I'd rather not pay the additional money for parking. What do you think? I also notice, BAK, that there are several Choice properties in the downtown area. Which would be the best location?
Thanks again for your great info!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to add, I also would like to know how far is it from downtown Toronto to Niagara Falls?
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone tell me how far is it by car from Toronto to Niagara Falls?
Thanks very much.
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Holiday Inn on King would be a long 3 blocks from the Travelodge. If it were me and price was similar, I'd opt for the HI. I used to work in that building (1/2 of it was office space) and the location is terrific. If the price was a lot more, I'd probably go for the Travelodge (I'm not one to spend a lot on hotels). But the HI is in a wonderful location - lots of restaurants, etc., also close to theatres and Sky Dome.

Downtown Toronto to Niagara Falls - I'm thinking maybe a couple of hours? We live just east of downtown and I think that would be about right, as long as you don't run into construction. That seems to be a way of life here in Toronto in the summer.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your very informative answers to my questions. From what you all say it looks like the Holiday Inn is a better choice. Thanks again!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:06 PM
BAK

I am a firm believer in the Holiday Inn on King. It's a couple of blocks from my office, in a great neighborhood for tourists, much nicer surroundings than the Travelodge, close to my morning coffee seller, etc., etc.

It's a better place to meet friends and family for activities related to the wedding.

I'd pick it over any of the Choice Hotels, too, but I expect it costs a bit more.

If you are flexible, pick the Holiday Inn.

BAK