Do we have enough time??

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do we have enough time??

We are two couples from Australia arriving in Vancouver late August 05.
Booked Rocky Mountaineer 30 & 31 August to Kamloops / Banf.
Then plan 2 night Banf, 2 nights Lake Louise,1 night Jasper,1 night Prince George,2 nights Prince Rupert, 1 night Port Hardy and back to Vancouver next day being 9 Sept.
Getting Hire car Banf to Jasper?? Should we keep car and give up in Prince Rupert or catch train from Jasper to PR?
How do we get back to Vancouver from PH without car and how long will it take. Should we pre book accomodation early September?? Any other comments on plan welcomed.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 03:45 PM
BAK

First comment; you can stay in either Banff or Lake Louise, and visit the other place. It saves packing and unpacking, and may even save a little money.

Second comment; for four people, a rented car would be an excellent idea. You can arrange your schedule as you see fit, and it would probably save money compared to taking tours.

Third comment; in Canada, there is a vast reduction in business after labor Day, which is early in September. that said, you are still in a very popular part of Canada, and thus advance reservations would be an excellent idea.

Fourth comment; You should probably spend one of your four Banff-LL days on a day trip to Calgary.

Fifth; it is a very, very long way from Jasper to Prince Rupert, over twisty roads. My suggestion is that this is a good place to skip driving and instead take the train.

But...

How are you getting from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy?

You are right to question the length and distances. This is a very long trip, but it is to wonderful places, so cutting back is not easy.

To some people, me included, mountains are mountains, so if I was making this trip, I'd drive from Jasper back to Vancouver, and enjoy those mountains from the comfort of the car, instead of enjoying other mountains from the comfort fo the train.

And once I got back to Vancouver, I'd keep the car and take the ferry to Vancouver Island, and then drive to Tofino (first choice, great nature and powerful ocean) or Victoria (second choice, beautiful surroundings, great museum, not as rugged) and then use thesame car to go back to Vancouver and the airport.

But, all told, this is a very long trip for 11 days on the ground.

Cutbacks -- skip Jasper. Instead, on one of your Banff days, head north by rented car to the Columbia Icefields, and return to Banff that night.

And Vancouver is a wonderful city, and well worth a day.

BAK

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:38 AM

&quot;<i>Should we keep car and give up in Prince Rupert or catch train from Jasper to PR?</i>&quot;
Although Aussies are no strangers to long drives the dropoff charges with the car would be high.
2 nights in PR is a bit much unless you're going fishing/whale watching/kayaking/WHY for the day-lots of outdoor stuff on tap in/near PR.
http://www.tourismprincerupert.com/eco_tourism.htm
It's easy to take a bus from PH to Vancouver I've done it a number of times.

For a <b>real adventure</b> and a look @ Canada's Coastal Outback consider http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/discovery/
Nothing like the other ship-a shorter more scenic route that stops at tiny villages along the coast.It's a chance to see a part of BC that many people have never heard of.Definitely rustic but welcoming and well run.

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks BAK and Sam, all the information very usefull, will certainly use your good advice and look forward to a great trip to your beautiful country. Probably more questions to come as we get into the finer details?
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 01:10 AM

Don't skip Jasper. It is a wonderfully beautiful town surrounded by incredible mountains. Take the time to spend at least a day in Jasper. I find it more interesting than Banff.

Banff is also beautiful, but over the past few years has become much busier and more commercial. Jasper townsite remains smaller, and has fewer of the 'big' stores. In Banff you will find all the same shops as are in the larger cities. In Jasper it is more owner operated places (ie not chains).

Unless you plan to do a lot of hiking in the Lake Louise area, I would not stay there, Spend one of those nights in Banff and day trip to Lake Lousie and spend of other in Jasper. One day is not enough to do the Jasper area justice.

You should definitly pre book you accomodations. Depending on how fancy you like things, I recommend Pine Bunglows in Jasper. They are cabins right on the river. Not fancy, but cozy and clean. No phones or TV's in the rooms, but there is a great fire place, and atmosphere.

Will try to answer any other questions you have.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 10:07 AM

We just returned from 4 nights in Lake Louise and 4 nights in Jasper. We found Jasper to be much more relaxing, Banff is very upscale. Don't miss the Icefields Parkway incredible drive both ways. Next trip we'll spend more time in Jasper and very little around Banff.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 11:59 AM

I looked at your schedule, and having done similar by car all the way, I would suggest you rethink the plan.

Last summer we drove from Lake Louise, with an over night stay, to Prince Rupert. It was a drive through the trees. Not much of interest compared with the majestic Rockies.

Then we took the ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy. It is a long trip, about 17 hours, and you see mostly green trees and water. I was frankly disappointed in it. I did not consider it to be scenic.

The first 4 hours were mildly interesting but, having a cabin, I fell asleep on the bunk out of boredom.

Getting back to Vancouver without a car? Search me. I haven't a clue. Bus maybe? Perhaps a commuter flight?

I am curious about 2 nights in Prince George. What for? There are better options, like Calgary.

If you return a rental car in Prince Rupert, be prepared for a substantial drop fee. I don't know what it is for that location, but one year I priced renting a car in Calgary and returning it in Vancouver. I discovered that I could fly from Calgary to Vancouver for less money and save several hours of travel time.

Other than just Banff, Louise, and Jasper, there is a lot out there to see in the immediate area, if you have a car. There are the national parks of Kootenay and Yoho and the excellent Alberta park of Peter Lougheed.

I also am not one to think the train trip is all that spectacular. Trains follow the lowest possible route, which means you are often down in a deep canyon, in a snow shed, or even in a tunnel for the best part of the trip.

I also don't know what you expect to find in Kamloops. It is a major lumber center and industrial town for that part of BC. I have driven through there a few times and I am not sure what I do if I stopped there. Perhaps there is something I don't know about.

I think your time would be better spent if you rented a car in Vancouver and visited Victoria, and then made a scenic drive across BC to the Rockies and back again. There are several routes you could take that strike me as being more scenic than the trek to Prince Rupert and the boat ride to Port Hardy.

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 12:43 PM

If you decided to go to Port Hardy, here are some added facts.

There is a bus from Port Hardy to Vancouver. Leaves at 9 am and takes 8 hours and 15 minutes.

I would book a room in Port Hardy.
It is isolated to some degree on the north end of the island. People stay there overnight to catch the departing ferry the following morning and to sleep over after the fairly late arrival at night -- 10:30 pm. So there is considerable demand for limited overnight accommodations.

Here is a cut and paste that might help you out taken from the Pacific Island Travel.

North Island Transportation provides a shuttle-bus service between the ferry and the town's airport, main hotels and the bus station at Market Street, whence it departs ninety minutes before each sailing (tel 949-6300 for information or to arrange a pick-up from hotel or campsite); otherwise call a taxi (tel 949-8000).

I cannot find an air schedule with Air Canada or anyone else for flights in and out of Port Hardy on a scheduled commercial basis.

Perhaps a call to the Chamber of Commerce would help on some of these problems. 250-949-7622

I stayed at the Glenn Lyon Motel and it was a good place for us. Clean and comfortable and modern.