Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Dining recommendations, activities near Prince George

Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

My husband has basically tricked me into spending a week at the cabin of one of his friend's that is about a hour north of Prince George (the reward is that then we get to spend 4 days at Chateau Lake Louise which is one of my favorite places anywhere). Now the question: I am basically going to have to do all the cooking (not my idea of a vacation but I wasn't consulted). Are there any decent to pretty good places to eat in this area? Also is there anything to do besides fishing? I know it's really in the middle of no where so don't expect much. I did see a historical park on the map which we will check out.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:33 PM

Unfortunately there is no 'dining' in Prince George at least as understood in the wider world.

There is however a branch of the Earls' chain-decent enough family fare.

As to other activities in Prince George-known to locals as 'The Pig'-there are only those found in rude bush towns.

http://www.pgevents.com/ might be of some help-I suggest you take a good book and a large supply of mosquito repellent.

Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sam. As expected, especially the mosquito repellant part!
Apr 25th, 2003, 05:15 AM

There are some very decent places to dine in PG. I should know I actually live here. Ric's Grill has excellent food.......so does Winston's at the Inn of the North....The Log House Restaurant at Tabor Lake - to name a few! We do have other things here than mosquitoes!
Apr 25th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks--I will take this list and make my husband take us out to dinner at least a few times.
Apr 25th, 2003, 10:17 PM

Ah Yes-The Inn of The North!

Well I remember that place-I've been in a few places rougher but never in one where people were so drunk they danced on the tables before 7pm.

People in 'The Pig' "like to get an early start" so the bouncer told me.
Apr 26th, 2003, 05:55 AM

I just have to reply to "Sam"....Prince George is not "The Pig".....it has been years since there has been a place to dance at the Inn of the North and it is not a land of drunks and mosquitoes!!!
Apr 26th, 2003, 05:28 PM

Note that I said "they danced 'on' the tables before 7pm"-this was in the bar.

One delightful facet of life in places like PG is the ability of the denizens to entertain/disport themselves so spontaneously.