Dining in Jasper/Yoho & Banff

Aug 30th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Nanci

Dining in Jasper/Yoho & Banff

Ok we've finally decided on lodging...now for restaurants. I read the Post in Banff is great. Any suggestions for Jasper or Lake Louise? Thanks!

Aug 31st, 2001, 02:50 PM
Susan

The Post is in Lake Louise. It is very good. Very nice, on the expensive side. The hotel's pub also has good and interesting food. It is more casual and more reasonable in price. Also in LL the LL Station restaurant is very good. We tried Jasper Pizza. It was ok but my kids loved the poutine. We're Southerners, we'd never heard of it. If you have a burger freak in the family, they may not like the Canadian burgers, they are very different. Also in Jasper, Pyramid Lake Lodge is good if you're in the mood for a short, lovely drive out-of-town. The service is spotty though.

Aug 31st, 2001, 03:14 PM
traveller

?Susan. How are the burgers different? They are beef, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, etc. Certainly, I suppose, there are gourmet burgers but really, I would like to know how you found them so different.

Sep 7th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Susan

When my son rejected his cheeseburger, I was shocked. This is a kid who could live on cheeseburgers. When I tried it, the burger did taste differently than the ones we normally have. This happened more than once. I suppose that beef could taste differently depending on the grazing and feeding habits of the cattle. Why I didn't notice a difference in the steaks I had, I don't know. The other difference we noted was that restaurants put a thousand island type dressing on the burgers.

Sep 7th, 2001, 06:50 AM
traveller

That's interesting Susan. I have really never noticed a great difference between the burgers in Alberta vs. Montana other than in Montana, they grill the buns. One thing I have noticed is that "up-scale" restaurants have gourmet burgers and sometimes, they do go overboard with the junk they put on them. Personally, I like a plain old burger without all of the Martha Stewart fancy trimmings. So I always tell them exactly what I want on it. No special sauces, just ketchup etc. Perhaps it was the sauce or additions to the beef?

Oct 15th, 2001, 08:54 AM
lorraine

was there last month - both the Jasper Park Lodge and the Banff Springs Hotel had absolutely wonderful buffets. We had dinner and lunch respectively at each of them. A bit pricey, but definitely worth it! We also took a tour after lunch (that you have to sign up for in advance) at the banff springs hotel which was rather interesting and worthwhile.

Oct 15th, 2001, 08:55 AM
lorraine

We also stayed and had dinner at the post hotel which was excellent - again pricy, but you can't compare these place to an "earl's"!!!!

Oct 15th, 2001, 10:07 AM
lili

we vacationed in banff/jasper in march of 1999 and between the road stopped at a lovely lodge for a light early dinner - the dinner, as i recall was good and not as expensive as the place looked but it was the location, views of the glacier and atmosphere that drew us to this place - here's the directions off their web site, it's a nice stop for lunch between jasper and banff:
Num-Ti-Jah Lodge overlooks one of the most dramatic scenes in the Canadian Rockies. Out of Bow Lake the mountains rise steep and rugged. The blue ice of Crowfoot Glacier hangs suspended over the turquoise water. To the west, the craggy peaks of the Great Divide tower over Bow Glacier.

Num-Ti-Jah Lodge is located 40 kilometres north of Lake Louise on Highway 93 in Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada. We are a three hour drive from the Calgary International Airport.