Reload this Page >

Cape Breton or P.E.I. in Aug.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 12:54 PM
jj

<BR>Message: We are planning on flying into Halifax this August for a week trip with our 12 & 10 yr.olds. We plan to spend 2 or 3 nights around the Halifax area then either drive up ro P.E.I. or to Cape Breton for the rest of the trip. My question is which area would be better to go to with the kids? Is Cape Breton cold in Aug.?Where to stay there? We have done a fair bit of travelling with the kids and want something unique if possible. If P.E.I., then can someone recommend an oceanfront type family resort? Finally I am wondering whether to fly into Halifax and out of Sydney, Cape Breton to fly home to Calgary. Thanks for all input. New to this part of Canada. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 04:07 PM
Brian Kilgore

Ithink of Cape Breton as a beautiful place to look at, with rugged cliffs and crashing waves, but not much of a place to actually do anything, except play golf at one resort, or drive around. <BR> <BR>PEI lacks the dramatic scenery,but has great beaches with water warm enough to swim in, more commercial attractions, an equal amount of history, two city/towns worth exploring, more Capital C Culture in the sense of plays, etc. <BR> <BR>That's where I'd take my kids, after Halifax. <BR> <BR>As for flying back. If you are in PEI, you can fly out of Charlettetown, or drive to Moncton, rather than back to halifax. Moncton is worth a day, too, sez I, who was born there. (Probably not worth two days, though) <BR> <BR>BAK

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Jane

I agree with Brian. I did a PEI /Cape <BR>Breton Island trip a couple of years ago. Cape Breton Island is rugged and scenic, but you're basically just driving around the island. There are not a lot of places to stay or eat, so if you go, make sure you book accomodations ahead of time. We almost had to sleep in the car one night. PEI's scenery is lovely...not as dramatic, but absolutely beautiful. <BR>Very relaxed pace, beautiful clean sand beaches, red dirt roads, farmers fields growing right to the edge of the ocean. The people are super friendly. I'd go back in a minute!

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 02:02 AM
Tanya

Although people perceive Cape Breton as just being rugged, there is lots to do. The National Park is a great place to explore. Whale Watching from Cheticamp. Explore Louisbourg!! Take a trip into a real coal mine at the Miner's Museum in Glace Bay. Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck. There are some wonderful beaches to spend time at and don't forget there are lots of local activities such as fairs, etc. going on as well. PEI is a lovely destination as well. You will find lots of attractions aimed at families such as theme parks, mini golf (and lots of other golf), wonderful beaches, but it can get pretty crowded in August. I guess it all depends on what your kids like to do. <BR> <BR>You can fly out of Cape Breton. I imagine the cost may be considerably more - I would check. You are only a 4 hour drive from Cape Breton to Halifax International. Why not spend a day travelling back to the airport and stop in New Glasgow area. If you are there the first weekend in August, they have a wonderful waterfront music jubliee that your kids may enjoy (as well as Mom and Dad). Enjoy your trip. I do encourage you to order the Doers and Dreamers guide from Nova Scotia Tourism & Culture.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 10:24 AM
lili

hiking on cape bretton was where we had our only moose siting in a 3 week trip to the maritimes, so i wouldn't trade it for the world, however, if the kids or you need more action, i guess PEI is where you have to go - can't you do both? <BR>PS: pei we had the BEST horseback riding tour ever on the northeast side of the island, through woods than along side the beach VERY scenic.