Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Digby/Halifax/Shelburne? On a motorcylce...please advise...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Carma

We are making a trip around the southern part of Nova Scotia in July on a motorcycle, with overnight stops planned in Digby, Halifax, and somewhere on the south coast, perhaps Shelburne...does anyone have any advice or suggestions regarding places to stay, eat, or just in general about the trip? Thanks so much!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:52 AM
excaper

I can't believe no one has responding to you yet!! This is the only part of Nova Scotia I have travelled by motorcycle and it is gorgeous! Unfortunately, I did not plan the trip, and it was a long time ago. Try the Doers and Dreamers guide. You can order it here.<BR><BR>http://explore.gov.ns.ca/

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:34 AM
sandra

Carma - we did a portion of this trip by bicycle a few years ago - Yarmouth, Shelburne up the middle to Annapolis Royal and back to Yarmouth 350 miles. It was great - we did stay in Shelburne and loved the town. They were settled by Loyalists and as you enter the town there was a huge mural of an English or maybe Scottish scene. I can't remember the name of the motel we stayed in but it had a heated outdoor pool which after a day of biking (motor or not) was really appreciated. Actually is was a motor court with little cottages and if I can remember the name or remember to look it up when I get home I'll repost. I think it might have been Parkers motel.<BR> <BR>The town of Shelburne's other claim to fame (other than being Loyalists) was that the movie The Scarlet Letter was filmed there and parts of the movie set still are there on the harbor. A nice selection of early american buildings with the stocks and hanging posts. Robert Duval was in the movie and was well liked by the locals and everyone had stories to tell - they used lots of locals. <BR><BR>We were there on a Sunday and the motel owner recommended a restaurant to us but it was going to close at 5:00 p.m. and could not serve Alcohol (either because of Sunday or no license not sure now why) But they agreed to open up after 5 for us - treated us like family - let us bring in our coolers w/beer and wine and really we had a wonderful time. Ate tongues and cheeks for the first time - try them you'll like them. <BR><BR>I'll try and do some research and get the restaurant and motel name - but the town was just great.<BR><BR>You'll love motorcycling in Nova Scotia - people were wonderful and the roads were great especially the secondary roads. Nice pavement - light traffic.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:41 AM
Sandra

Carma - me again - I just checked www.historicshelburne.com to jog my memory. The motor court is MacKenzies and the restaurant was Claudias - check them out on the web site.<BR><BR>Have a great time.<BR>Sandra

Old May 14th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Michel

We are makint the trip to Nova Scotia during the first of August. We are traveling all the way from Florida!!<BR>Plan on taking the ferry from Bar Harbor. We plan on taking the Lighthouse trail and just doing what comes natural, then back to the US and across to Nigara Falls. Lets know how your trip goes. We have friends who made the trip by motorcycle last year. They use AAA for there routes, resturants and lodging. That might be helpful. Have a good trip and ride safe.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Carma

Thanks so much everyone...looking forward to a great trip!