Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Delta Grandview, Deerhurst, or Muskoka Sands in August??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
Which of these three resorts would you
recommend for this summer? I have 2 boys,
10 and 15 years old who love golf and
watersports....especially the beach.
Am looking for something not too busy...
I've heard Deerhurst can be very crowded
in the summer....is this true?
All in all, which is the nicest resort?
Thanks much,
auty1
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:29 AM
BAK

I'll do some reearch

BAK
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 11:44 AM
wow

Hi, Auty! Everything in "cottage country" is crowded in August! Personally, I do not like Deerhurst at all. It's a huge, sprawling, crowded complex. They have 2 golf courses: Lakeside & Highlands. Lakeside attracts a lot of beginner golfers, the play is painfully slow and the course is not challenging. On the other hand, Highlands is spectacular & if your boys are golfers I wld recommend it. They shd also play the new Mark O'Meara course which is located north of highway 60 (across the highway from Delta Grandview which is close to Deerhurst). The O'Meara course is breathtakingly beautiful. Non-golfers in your family shd consider going along for the ride! It really is amazing to see what O'Meara has done w/ the rock cuts! While you are in the area, your boys shd also play Bigwin Island. Go along Highway 17 & take a ferry boat across.
I much prefer the condos @ Delta Grandview to Deerhurst. In addition to The O'Meara Course, there is a very very short "9 hole" course @ Delta Grandview. The beach area is very small....almost nonexistent.
I have not stayed @ Muskoka Sands but have heard good things about it. Is it now called "Taboo" or am I thinking of another resort in that area?
Another thought: Why not check the Toronto Globe and Mail newspaper & see if you can get a private "cottage rental"? Anyway, whatever you do, I hope you enjoy Muskoka! If you decide to stay in the Deerhurst/Grandview area & want more info, post back. I spend a lot of time there in the summer.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:43 PM
BAK

Yes, Muskoka Sands has turned into Taboo.

BAK
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Our family (boy 13, girl 15) had one of our best vacations ever at Grandview last year. With most packages, a round of golf a day is free, and there are four or five courses you have access to. ALL the watersports are complimentary -- canoes, sailboats, a floating trampoline, kayaks, pedal boats. The beach is VERY small and you would have to live with that, but there is also a good outdoor pool, a lovely lakeside casual restaurant for ice cream and light meals, an expansive rocky (not beach) shore along the waterfront, and a significant property Bikes are free, tennis I don't remember what the charge is. there is also an exercise club. What we especially loved were the activities (PAID but definitely worth it) run onsite by a company called Nature Trails.
(Go to www.deltahotels.com, search for Grandview, then go to the recreation link and scroll down)
The kids made nature-painted paddles, we all went on the observatory excursion (awesome) and my husband and daughter took a zodiac boat tour into a remote area of Algonquin Park, true wilderness.
The only thing I did not like was the somewhat down at the heels appearance of the condominum unit we were given. Not bad but just not quite up to the standard you would expect for what you're paying. The property is large, as are Deerhurst and Muskoka Sands. But this one somehow manages to feel less busy than the other two. I am not a fan in any way of Deerhurst. I think Muskoka Sands is a good bet, but I would place it second to Delta Grandview because of the overall property and amenities.

Special advice if you are booking Grandview, CALL THE HOTEL DIRECT. Speak to the front desk first to determine where on the property you want to be and what type of accommodation you most want to have. Then call the central reservation number.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 02:26 PM

Another spot you might want to check out is Cleveland House - on Lake Rousseau - has many water activities and golfing. We have vacationed in the Muskokas every summer and it is generally crowded at the resorts, but the water is by far in my opinion the best anywhere in the area.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice everyone...
I'm leaning toward Grandview right
now...tripadvisor.com had some iffy
reports about Taboo. They seem to be
going through a transition phase.
Deerhurst seems so big. We have been
going to northern Michigan for years,
but thought we'd do something different
this summer. Our last trip to Manistee,
Michigan was nice, but every which way
we turned there were 10 to 15 kids staring at us. Love kids...but it was
chaotic at times. Do you all think it
will be this crowded in the Muskoka
area? Do the golf courses get backed up?
We will probably golf during the week,
or in the afternoons on weekends.
Thanks again!!
auty1
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 11:18 AM
wow

Hi, Auty1! Interesting about Taboo...
OK, about golf: The weekends are very very busy. Especially on long weekends. Monday, August 2nd, 2004 is a Civic holiday in Ontario often referred to as "the August 1st weekend". It's the 1st Monday in August. So that weekend will be especially busy as will July 1st which this year falls on a Thursday but a lot of people will probably take Friday July 2nd off too so that weekend will be busy but of no concern to you b/c you will be here in August! Unless I missed it, you did not say when in August. Labour Day weekend is also crazy (Sept3, 4 & 5 this year).
I find it is generally best to get the earliest possible tee time. That way you are "out front" & in b/f it gets hot. The courses do get backed up. It's a busy place! Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday mornings are not as busy as the weekends when you get not only "tourists" like you but also the "usual weekenders" from Toronto & area. Afternoons on the weekends are busy. And hot!
Any other questions?
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

What do you guys think of the Delawana
resort near Honey Harbor? Any good
resorts closer to Georgian Bay?

Thanks again...
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:13 PM

My family (2 adults, boy 13, girl 10)is likewise trying to decide between Deerhurst and Grandview for August. I am torn because many of the books give Deerhurst three stars and Grandview only one star. Yet most on this posting seems to feel strongly that Grandview is the better choice for August. If you have any other thoughts on how the two resorts compare (e.g., how nice are the lakes compared to each other -- we like to kayak; how do the pools compare; how is the food; how is the staff and service, etc.). Any other details to help make this choice would be welcome. Thanks so much. Gail