Days & Nights in Montreal

Jul 9th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Days & Nights in Montreal

Hello there,
My cousin & I are planning our first trip to Montreal next month;we have about 6 days to explore (we are in our mid 30s, female). DAYS: We were thinking about doing a "hop on-hop off" tour to get oriented, and also day trip/tour to Quebec City through Auto Car Imperial. Do you think these organized tours are the best way to go about it? Any experiences with this company? NIGHTS: Any suggestions for fun places to go out at night? Bars, clubs, pubs?
Thanks in advance!
Jul 10th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Hi Robin,
I can't comment about the hop-on-hop-off tours, but a lot of people seemed to enjoy the Montreal walking tours (especially the Old Montreal tour) that leave from the city's tourist info booth.
There is a lot of fun nightlife and dancing around the area. I would suggest asking a young local because the clubs change every night in terms of the kind of music they play. Or you can go to www.montrealplus.ca to get an idea of the nightlife selection. Have fun! (I'm from NYC too and would love to return to Montreal soon...) Post a trip report when you get back!
Jul 10th, 2004, 06:18 AM

We found the nightlife to be concentrated in certain streets which makes it much easier for a visitor to find. This was one of the great things the about Montreal nightlife (which for pubs/bars/clubs is probably the best I have found in North America).

Good places to start are Rue Crescent and Rue Bishop (which run parallel in downtown) and Rue St Denis. All these streets have lots of bars to choose from.
Jul 12th, 2004, 06:20 AM

We just got back from our annual Montreal Jazz Fest trip, and had a great time (as always!). A few tips if this is your first time to the city: Montreal has some kind of festival just about every week - find out what festival is happening the week you are here. Montreal is a great walking city - don't be afraid to just walk the streets and explore the many interesting neighborhoods. The hop on hop off bus tour sounds like a good idea, since there are so many interesting areas most first time visitors don't see.
My favorite areas are: St Denis, Mt Royal & Duluth near Parc Fontaine, the downtown St. Catherine St. - Crescent St. area, Prince Arthur- Sq. St Louis area. As for nightlife, Ontario St. near St Laurent has a string of lively clubs, St. Laurent up by Prince Arthur has lots of dance clubs, St Denis is always hopping with it's eclectic mix of cafes and bars, and the Crescent St. area has lots and lots of clubs, Irish pubs, etc.
Jul 12th, 2004, 08:06 AM

Dear zootsi,

Hello! Is there a boutique hotel or bed and breakfast in Montreal you would recommend staying at if one wanted to be very close to the nightlife, yet still be able to sleep? I plan on going there soon to enjoy some of the dance clubs (not so much the Irish pubs) and would greatly appreciate your recommendations.
Have heard nice things about Le Petit Prince (a bed and breakfast w/ a great atmosphere) and I think someone mentioned a place called La Fontaine. THANKS/MERCI!!
Jul 12th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Try the Welcome B&B on Laval. Clean, comfortable, and well located on a quiet street, but a short pleasant stroll to St. Denis or St. Laurent. There is a b&b on Parc la Fontaine that is a little more expensive, a few blocks further out, but in a very nice area.
As for a hotel, the Argoat looks nice, and is very close to St. Denis, but I've not stayed there.
Jul 12th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Thanks, zootsi!

Jul 13th, 2004, 07:27 AM

We just did a jazzfest trip too - fun!!

Best experiences (apart from the jazz shows):

1) Dim sum at La Maison Kam Fung -- unbelievably good. Worth the wait.

2) Dinner at Tocque! -- Delicious!!

3) Shopping on rue St. Denis and rue St. Laurent and in betweeen. If you are chocolate fans, there is a little shop called "Chocolates by Chloe" where they will put together a little tasting platter.
Jul 13th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, all. This is great advice! With 6 days there I think I may even be able to try it all .
Jul 30th, 2004, 05:29 PM

just added info. you can also pickup the english free weekly papers the hour and the mirror (similar to the village voice)distributed every thursday at most secondcup coffee shops, some video store outlets. if you happen to arrive on sunday to wednesday and you need to be around people there is always Thursday on crescent be forewarned the weekday 5-7 crowd changes into a different animal as the night progresses
there's is also a dancefloor below.
80's dance there is electric avenue.
70's there is funky town on peel st.
most play hiphop rnb house depending on the night on crescent.
Bars sir winston and winnies above
salsa merengue can be found close by at 6/49 (actual name)on st-catherine around the corner is salsatheque on peel
5-7 happy hour on top of the dela montagne hotel behind thursday's to check out the rooftop pool terrasse.
st-denis street boast quite a few open air bar terrasses one being st-sulpice.
can u say sangria?
old montreal and its outdoor terrasses there's a few indoor enclosed if the sun is too unbearable, another rooftop terrasse if you're walking along the pier just look north at one of the buildings and you can see the resto sitting up top of it- again great pic opportunities.
st-laurent is more mix of rnb house some techno music clubs, lounges and neighbourhood bars just like new york eg. blizzarts and bluedog next to it.
orchid, upperclub, sofia a resto that turns into a mini dance club, tokyo bar,
outdoor terrasse bars on prince arthur street like vol de nuit
living club near mt. royal
then there is the afterhours clubs like stereo, circus, aria depending on the dj
most play music similar to what you hear at raves $25+ cover
avoid lineups and go early as most crowds and lineups occur around 11-midnight go figure.
most charge 7-10 cover except for the bars. I say it again no club is worth waiting half an hour to an hour to get in - because your hard earned money can be spent else where e.g. my friends convinced me to wait in line for this hyped up place called go-gos (specializing in martini drinks)in full view of the bouncer we waited until we were face to face and he said only regulars were allowed in - indignant at having to wait so long the jerk could have told us so while we were waiting in the line we essentially to our business elsewhere - in hindsight we were better off spending our time at vol de nuit besides why bother going to such a club and become a sardine and if you're going to get hassled by first and foremost by a power tripping doorman -clubs come and go as they say and go-gos is no-no aside from that if you want martini drinks go to jello bar on ontario st.
breakfast isn't too shabby at either chez cora or eggspectation
Jul 30th, 2004, 10:52 PM

I would recommend a half day bus tour upon arrival (as opposed to the hop on/hop off) which will take you all over Montreal with a stop at Notre Dame (not to be missed). Having done that, you'll have an idea of where you'll want to spend your time.

Also highly recommend the day trip to Quebec City. This can be arranged through the Concierge where you're staying. Though, don't bother with hotel pickup. Walk or take a bus or the metro to the departure terminal. Otherwise, you'll just spend an extra hour going all over from hotel to hotel.

We took the Grayline tour to QC, which was excellent. Fabulous commentary. A drive by the falls and other sights. Walking tour upon arrival, with plenty of time to shop, wander all about, have a leisurely lunch, before boarding the bus to head back. Arrived back in Montreal in time for a nice dinner.

For exploring, go to the Montreal metro website and download the metro and bus routes and neighborhood maps to print out and fold up to tuck in your pocket.

Get a Visitor's Card for unlimited travel on the metro and buses. You can pick up a detailed metro/bus map once there at any metro station.

See what's going on during your visit at www.montrealplus.ca and at the Official Montreal Tourism website.

One of the best places for nightlife is rue Crescent between Maisonneuve and St-Catherine. Both sides of the street are lined with wonderful possibilities (even a Hard Rock). Montreal is a very friendly city. You will meet lots of folks who will offer lots of recommendations and insider tips for where to go and "getting in". You could also take the metro to Sherbrooke (day or night) and wander northwest on Sherbrooke for shopping, cafes, boutiques, nightlife. Another fine exploring destination is rue Laurier. Then, there's Vieux Montreal.

I would mention that the young singles in Montreal "dress" when heading out for the evening.
Jul 31st, 2004, 05:26 AM

Thanks, montrealer88 and djkbooks for such extensive information -- especially enjoyed the nightlife info! Yes, I think it is a good idea to consult the weekly papers because we went to Tokyo Bar, which had been advertised on montrealplus.ca website as an 80s-music place, but when we got in, they were only playing hip-hop, and very loudly!
Montrealer88: Is the club 737 really cheesy (on the top of that skyscraper) or is it worth checking out? What night would have a nice crowd?
I love Montreal!
Jul 31st, 2004, 11:31 PM

bettyo70:tokyo bar: interesting place depending on the theme night: for e.g. sat they would have a live band play danceable funk soul and on the other side they have the techno blasting, of course there is the upper floor open air terrasse to get away from the noise. 737 was one of the few restaurants with a rooftop view the other is 777 university, Tour de Ville resto, the only revolving rooftop restaurant)
737 is great if simply to get to the rooftop terrasse which has 3 sided view of the city -the place is split on two floors supposedly to play two styles of music namely hiphop rnb on one and house on the other expect one floor to be slightly darker than the other one.
a good crowd is the happy hour on weekdays 5-7...
both places have lineups but in 737's case its because they use 2 elevators to shuttle the people up and down.
Aug 1st, 2004, 07:13 AM

Hi:
A few years ago I wrote several articles about Montreal, where I was born and live.

You can check these out at:

http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/montreal_canada

Norm Goldman
Editor of Bookpleasures.com
Travel Writer contributor to:
lovetripper.com: thetimesharebeat.com:
travellady.com: bootsnall.com

Aug 7th, 2004, 05:10 AM

Dear Azergo,
Thanks for sharing all this information regarding Montreal. When I get a free moment, I plan to dive into all of it!
Also, I particularly like "Montreal Off The Beaten Path"-type of books.
Best regards,
Betty